ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

Wifi Hotspot recommendations for international travel

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by kar, Oct 12, 2017.

1. kar

kar New Member

Hi, We will be traveling to Europe and Asia soon and would like to buy a Wifi Hotspot for checking google maps for directions, train schedules, and text/emails. Looking on Amazon, I found Skyroam, (original-Refurbish only), Skyroam Solis, and Huawei which seem to work. Any feedback and recommendation would be very helpful. Thanks!

2. Gia

Gia Active Member

3. kar

kar New Member

Thanks Gia. I should add that we have AT&T and we will be traveling to different countries and on a cruise so we don’t want to buy local SIM cards.

4. Gia

Gia Active Member

I know what you mean about AT&T, their overseas data prices are ridiculously expensive. I had them for years and couldn’t use my phone on overseas travel and I switched a year ago to T-Mobile and have never looked back. If you plan on doing a lot of overseas travel in the future, you might look into switching - many of us here have. Good luck with your travels!

No Name and rickyw like this.
  5. rickyw

rickyw Well-Known Member

I'd second what Gia said about T-Mobile. I'd say that domestically, T-Mobile is not quite on the same level as AT&T and Verizon. They do a very good job, but they aren't #1. But, internationally, there's really no comparison. I switched as well about a year ago, and have been so pleased. I rented a car and drove through the Balkans earlier this year. The phone auto reconnected to T-Mobile service on the fly, so I never lost connection when crossing borders and always had Google Maps or Waze handy.

I think some others really like Google Project Fi, which works well too.

If switching phones isn't an option, I'd say Skyroam is definitely the most hyped for what you need. Unfortunately, I don't have any experience using it though...

No Name likes this.
  6. Richard on Dauntless

Gia and RickyW are spot on.
    For international travel T-Mobile is the only way to go.
    There are only a few countries in which it doesn't work at all, like Vietnam.

No Name likes this.
  7. kar

kar New Member

Thanks for all your suggestions to switch to T-moble but that is not an option for me.

8. Cole

Cole Member

Do you have an AT&T international plan? If so they have an app called Global Wi-FI. I used in when i was in the Ukraine and its great for finding and connecting to hotspots. Like you I dont have the option to switch to T-mobile, its horrible in my area.

9. kar

kar New Member

No AT&T Int'l plan. Just was wondering if any of these gadgets are reliable so we can "pay as you go" on the days we need to use wifi connections when traveling.

10. Tiffany

Tiffany One Mile At A Time

Andrew has been testing SkyRoam, and we'll have a post on it soon (hopefully with a discount code, still working on that part). It would probably work for your needs, though it isn't as seamless as tMobile/GoogleFi.

Don't get the Huawei -- that's what I have, and you'll need to buy SIM cards in every location.

No Name likes this.
  11. kar

kar New Member

Any idea on timing of Andrew’s post? Do you know if he’s testing the original or the new Solis SkyRoam? We are leaving end of Nov. and hope to see the review soon. A discount code would be even better! Also saw GlocalMe for $150 on Amazon which you load based on amount of data (GB) instead of by number of days for the SkyRoam. Would be great to see some quality and price comparisons. Thanks!

12. Gaurav

Gaurav Well-Known Member

You could get an old smartphone number and a google fi subscription for your trip and just use it as a mobile hotspot. Or just use it in your primary cell phone. Cancel service when you come back...

No Name likes this.
  13. kpottermn

kpottermn New Member

I bought an AT&T "Passport" for $40 for a trip this past spring to Asia and it worked great, though the data limit was not quite enough for my needs. Something to look into.

14. MidSouth Skier

MidSouth Skier Well-Known Member

I used the AT&T Passport in Asia this month too. I kept the phone in airplane mode most of the time, connecting with wi-fi where possible. But it was handy to be able to look at maps or email as needed.

Gaurav and No Name like this.