ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

Credit Cards What card should I get next?

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by gliu25, Nov 2, 2017.

1. gliu25

gliu25 New Member

Hello Everyone,

I was wondering if I could get some feedback on what credit card I should get next. Currently, I have the CSP, Chase Freedom, AMEX Platinum, Citi Prestige, Hyatt Credit Card, SPG, United Mileage Plus and Delta Gold. My wife and have a few trips coming up and would like to get a new credit card to pick up a few sign up bonuses. I unfortunately do not have the CSR as when it was released I was still within the time frame of the chase 5/24 rule. I finally get out of that on Dec 1st, but I was wondering what credit card should I get next? Unfortunately, since the CSR came out, unfortunately, due to the new rules I won't be able to apply for the CSR since I have the CSP.

My wife has been an authorized user on most of my cards so she is under the 5/24 rule at the moment as well. My wife doesn't have a card of her own except capital one since she just moved here from Canada in June, but has been an authorized user of mine for 3 years.

Any thoughts on what cards we should get next?

Thank you for your help.

2. David W

David W Well-Known Member

Assuming that you got the bonus on the CSP more than 2 years ago, you can downgrade the card to the Freedom Unlimited (or another Freedom card) and then apply for and receive the bonus on the Reserve

For your wife, I recommend she apply for some no fee cards whose rewards will be beneficial in the future, so cards like the Chase Freedom/Freedom Unlimited or the Amex Everyday card.

No Name and Gaurav like this.
  3. gliu25

gliu25 New Member

David - thank you for your reply. I really appreciate it. So actually, I applied for the CSR in Nov of 2015. So if I apply at the beginning of December would I still get the sign up bonus for CSR? If I downgrade to the unlimited, would I lose all of my chase points? Also, I thought that if you had the chase sapphire preferred/reserve and you downgrade or cancel - you would have to wait 24 months since you have had a chase sapphire product before you can qualify for the sign up bonus for the preferred/reserve. So would I have to wait 2 years to sign up for the reserve to get the bonus?

Any thoughts on the delta card with the increase sign up bonus?

Thanks

Gordon