ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

Using Non Refundable ticket for Extra Seat?

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by FlyinngHippo, Dec 3, 2017.

1. FlyinngHippo

FlyinngHippo New Member

Question for all - My wife and I have travel plans next week with American but due to business plans she won't be flying back on her return. She has business and has separate onward travel booked. The fare is of course non refundable but I was hoping American would allow for it to be considered an extra seat now as I know it would likely otherwise be filled the day of departure when she doesn't board.
    In speaking with American they have essentially advised me of the following:
    - The ticket cannot be refunded
    - It cannot be considered an extra seat for me
    Seems pretty rotten that I am going to be charged for the seat then not be able to use it.

Anyone have thoughts/suggestions on this type of situation from past experiences? Thanks!

2. rickyw

rickyw Well-Known Member

You should be able to cancel the ticket, for a fee, and the difference will be issued to you as a travel voucher. You'll have to do the math and see if the money you'd get back is worth paying the fee.

If she just decides to no show, there is a decent chance the seat next to you will be empty. Have your wife check-in, so American won't know she's not there until the gate closes. So, unless there are standby passengers, you'd unofficially have the extra seat

Tiffany, Gaurav and FlyinngHippo like this.