ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

Upgrading codeshare ticket

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by Steve from LA, Oct 11, 2017.

1. Steve from LA

Steve from LA New Member

I recently purchased a ticket for a flight from Boston to Lax. Virgin America operates the flight and Alaska codeshares it. I noticed that the price for the economy ticket on their websites were the same. Virgin American offered a select upgrade for about $40 more. Alaska's website indicated that I could get an upgraded seat directly from Virgin American after I completed the purchase, but provided no other details. All things being equally, I bought the Alaska ticket because I fly aeromexico a lot and can get aeromexico points on Alaska flights.

After I bought, the ticket I tried to upgrade the seat to select on Virgin American. However, a select seat doesn't appear to be an upgrade option on their website. The only option seems to be getting a window seat for another $40. Is this normal? Do code share ticket buyers get screwed when it comes to available upgrade options? This seemed to happen to me once before when I bought an aeromexico code share on delta. Is there anyway to upgrade my Alaska ticket to select on Virgin America now?