ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

Two one way awards / "proof of onward travel"

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by dh1234, May 26, 2018.

1. dh1234

dh1234 New Member

I got my sister and her husband JAL F awards LAX <-> NRT w/ my AA miles. But the each leg is on a separate PNR since I wanted to grab the awards as the schedule was loaded.

I gave both AA agents the exact same info when booking but the first agent booked the tickets w/ FIRST LAST (not even MR / MRS) while the other booked MRS / MR FIRST MIDDLE LAST. I called JAL and they put the full passport info including the middle name on the PNR missing the middle name with no concerns.

I've read a lot on here that it's not a problem if the middle name is not present on the ticket, but I keep replaying this anxiety provoking scenario where they walk up to the F check-in at LAX and then are denied boarding because you "proof of onward travel" for visa free entry to Japan and the fact that there are two one way tickets issued with the names entered in different ways makes them wary.

This is nagging at me... am I working myself up over nothing? Or should I try to do something?

2. TexasFlyer

TexasFlyer Member

You can purchase another set of tickets for extra peace of mind. Or be ready to purchase them at check in at a possible premium. One way tickets in premium cabins always attract extra security concerns but you will probably be fine with 99 per cent likelihood.

3. dh1234

dh1234 New Member

Is that a standard thing people typically do? i.e. to buy a RT backup ticket whenever you book a one way award? Doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose of using awards in general?

4. David W

David W Well-Known Member

5. Cedric Pinsonnault

Cedric Pinsonnault New Member

I have a friend who's name on all his ID cards doesn't match his passport and he's never had issues so your good!

6. Tiffany

Tiffany One Mile At A Time

I would not worry about it, you're fine!

7. Tiffany

Tiffany One Mile At A Time

No, this is nonsense, and beyond completely unnecessary.

rickyw and Gia like this.