ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

SQ or United

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by dalameda, May 17, 2017.

1. dalameda

dalameda New Member

I'm accumulating points for a round trip for 2 to Singapore. I have 125,000 Chase Unlimited and 50,000 united through bonus sign-ups. and am accumulating SPG points as well.This is my first venture into using miles. Am I going to be better off (have better seat availability) by transferring my CU and SPG and some other points to krisflyer and booking SQ, or should I tranfer to United and perferably book EVA?

2. rickyw

rickyw Well-Known Member

No need to speculatively transfer! You can search for availability on both airlines without having the necessary points in your account. Once you find the seats you need, then transfer (not before)

If you have dates in mind, we can help guide your search

MidSouth Skier likes this.
  3. Gaurav

Gaurav Well-Known Member

The SPG points should not be transferred to United. The conversion ratio is very poor. You might do a little better if you send them to Marriott first. You'll also need a premium Chase card to transfer your UR from the unlimited to airlines (Sapphire Preferred, Reserve, Ink Preferred). Just keep those things in mind as you plan!

David W likes this.
  4. David W

David W Well-Known Member

@rickyw is spot on - transfer once you have verified that seats are available. Chase's transfer to United is instant and transfers to Singapore takes 12-24 hours. SQ will reserve flights for you and give you about a week to ticket it.

rickyw likes this.
  5. dalameda

dalameda New Member

Thanks! Very helpful replies! I do have a Chase Reserve so I can transfer. I am planning on going in Feb or March of next year, and it seems most of the SQ award seats are waitlisted, whereas a search on United indicates availability. I can be somewhat flexible but want to bookend my flights around a bike tour.