ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

Should I Cancel my Amex Hilton basic card?

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by Kiran Kaja, Nov 28, 2017.

1. Kiran Kaja

Kiran Kaja New Member

Hi, I have the Hilton Amex Surpass card and the Hilton Amex basic card. I mostly use the Surpass card. I got the basic card as there was a bonus offer a few months ago. I now have the points credited already. Should I cancel this card? I would like to apply for the Hilton Amex Aspire card that is coming up next year. I have these 2 Amex personal cards and 1 platinum card.

Thanks,
    Kiran

2. MidSouth Skier

MidSouth Skier Well-Known Member

I would keep the free card. Go ahead and sign up for the Aspire when it becomes available. If for some reason they should reject your application, you can offer to cancel the free card. If they give you the Aspire then you've just expanded your available pool of credit and the free card will contribute to your average age of accounts, both of which are good for your credit score. At any point in the future if you want another Amex credit card you can offer to close the freebie. Let the free card work for you because it's not costing you anything.

Gaurav likes this.
  3. Babaghanoush85

Babaghanoush85 New Member

So if I get the Amex Hilton Surpass and meet the minimum, will I still be able to apply for and receive the bonus on the Ascend later on?

4. MidSouth Skier

MidSouth Skier Well-Known Member

It is my understanding that they are different products so you should be able to get the signup bonus on both cards.