ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

Award Redemption SFO to Australia

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by Woodrow, May 15, 2017.

1. Woodrow

Woodrow Member

I am trying to search for an award trip utilizing my 300k+ Alaska points. Cathay Pacific doesn't come up in any searches and Lucky just posted about how CX F is a great use of the points.

Emirates also comes up, but 120k seems a bit steep for J class and I'll be traveling with a pot smoker (won't be carrying anything), but have concerns with transiting in Dubai.

Should I be searching somewhere besides Alaska's portal? Where will I get the most "bang for my buck"?

2. David W

David W Well-Known Member

CX awards only show up if you search using CX, BA, QF or JL's online tools. BA is probably easiest to use so start there and search segment by segment. Once you find availability, note the dates and flights, then call Alaska to book.

Woodrow likes this.
  3. Woodrow

Woodrow Member

How far out can I search?

4. David W

I believe its a year in advance. However, AS can only book flights that are at most 331 days in advance.

Woodrow likes this.
  5. erik

erik New Member

You can't find any CX F awards because your routing will be SFO-HKG-Australia. And CX does not have a first class cabin from HKG- Australia.

Woodrow likes this.
  6. Woodrow

Woodrow Member

So if I search for CX J awards, will I have the opportunity to upgrade the SFO to HKG route to F?

7. David W

Search for each segment separately on BA's website and then call AS with the flight numbers to book. Mixed cabin should be fine.

Woodrow likes this.
  8. David W

If you have AS issue you a ticket for business class on both legs, you can upgrade the first leg to F but you also have to make sure there is new award availability for the second leg in business. AS will basically cancel and rebook your ticket.

Woodrow likes this.