ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

Question 5

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by Tom, Jan 1, 2015.

1. Tom

Tom Reader

Hi Ben,

I am a longtime Marriott Platinum Elite. I just got back from Europe where I used some points in London and Brussels. I was not impressed with the rooms we were given and I am probably going to switch programs.
    I stay 60-70 nights on business in the US. I really don't care what type of room I have traveling on business as I do stay in full-service hotels most of the time.
    I use points for pleasure for maybe 10 nights in Europe each year. It is these nights that I'd like the option to have a nice room. Marriott is spotty at best and I have to either ask or pay for an upgrade, which I do not like to do.

From reading your blog I think SPG would be my best option ?
    Any advise on which credit cards I should sign up for ?

Regards,

Brad

2. Lucky

Lucky One Mile At A Time

@ Tom -- I do like SPG, though the caveat in your situation is that they don't have nearly as many hotels around the world as Marriott does. They only have about a quarter as many properties worldwide.

If you sign up for the SPG co-branded credit card you'd get two stays and five nights towards elite status annually, which will help fast track you to Platinum. If you get both the personal and business cards, that would be four stays and ten nights towards status annually.

Good luck!