ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

Qatar Airways Catastrophic Unannounced Devalution

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by theox, May 27, 2018.

1. theox

theox New Member

Hi Lucky - heads up - overnight the new QRPC 'Enhancements' came in - however so did a new set of changes...

It now costs close to double in miles to redeem for any route (and that's not because of their 'Q X 2' availability).

Example - yesterday I was looking at redeeming CDG-DOH-HKG one - way. It would have cost me 76,000 miles + around 100EUR. Today the cost is 119,000 miles and almost 200EUR.

Myself and other QR FF are incredibly angry. May be blog post content. More on FT. Thanks Lucky.

2. SeattleTodd

SeattleTodd Member

With all due respect, that's just over 50% more miles, not really "close to double".

3. theox

theox New Member

Thanks for your valuable input. It seems quite variable, and certainly in many cases close to double. LHR-HND was 160k rtn, now 290k. I'd respectfully suggest that's almost double. Although if you wish to come back with the correct percentage increase do feel free.

4. rickyw

rickyw Well-Known Member

5. theox

theox New Member

Absolutely - I started collecting before i started reading blogs and have been platinum for a while so it was worth my while staying as their routes suited and their programme had lots of bonus ways to earn miles. I stuck with them through the downgrades (ie no lounge on upgrades etc) and even understand the redemption fees as they're struggling (although very cheeky to call it 'enhancements' - but the overnight and unannounced devaluation.... unfortunately that's quite a few steps too far for me now!

6. TexasFlyer

TexasFlyer Member

With so many miles issued every day for nothing, across the world and all airlines, it is only a natural outcome. Many other airlines will eventually follow, in one form or another, and making prior announcements will only kill the surprise effect.

7. rickyw

rickyw Well-Known Member

8. SeattleTodd

SeattleTodd Member

@theox Then you should post examples that reflect the claims you're making. 76K-->119K is just over a 50% increase. 56.6%, since you asked. :)

rickyw likes this.