ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

Award Redemption possible trip SFO LHR

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by GBOAC, Aug 11, 2017.

1. GBOAC

GBOAC Member

United will be retiring its 747 fleet this fall and I'm considering a farewell flight from SFO to LHR. On select days UA is offering what looks like a reasonable first class fare (rt ~$5000) at least compared to the other airlines.
    In spite of the low airfare there are no UA premium saver awards available.

Question for the cognesiti on this board:
    Is this a fare worth paying directly in cash and purchasing the ticket directly from UA. Are there other ways to procure a ticket. I do have a lot UA miles and Chase UR points so I could use miles, but my sense is that I can make better use of the miles elsewhere given the low (?) fare.

Or am I just crazy even considering this? After all BA will still be flying 747s between SFO and LHR for a while

Thanks

2. MidSouth Skier

MidSouth Skier Well-Known Member

That is a pretty good fare. I went on a business trip to London a couple of months ago and my (fully refundable) business class fare was more than that.

That being said, is UA F worth $5000 if you don't have another reason to take the trip? I'm not sure it is. This won't be Polaris hard product so I'm not sure I'd pay cash or miles just to fly their 747 one last time. Then again, I'm not a true AvGeek so perhaps I'm not the right one to answer the question!

rickyw likes this.
  3. aussiejosh

aussiejosh Member

That is indeed a good fare for First, although I have flown United F in the 747 (albeit 4 years ago) and it is ....... not competitive.

If you're keen to get one last flight in the nose of the 747, perhaps you can look for a fare which is United one-way, and Swiss or Lufthansa on the return? They run a joint venture so there may be some similarly priced seats available, and this way you would at least get your money's worth in first class on one of the legs.

MidSouth Skier likes this.
  4. Woodrow

Woodrow Member

I just booked SFO to LHR in F class for $4,900. LF out, LX return. Far, far, far superior than UA.

5. GBOAC

GBOAC Member

Wow.
    How did you book this and roughly when are you traveling? I'm not seeing this offered on the United site

6. Woodrow

Woodrow Member

May 2018. I used Google flights, then "fed" the exact itinerary to a TA. I could have booked it on Orbitz.