ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

Award Redemption Phantom space on JAL?

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by pogreen, May 15, 2015.

1. pogreen

pogreen Reader

Hi Lucky

I'm intending to use my US airways miles (now AA miles) to book a flight back from NRT to SIN on 28 June 2015. Based on the British Airways search engine, it appears that there is only one award space available for the flight I;m looking at on 28 June 2015 (JL0711 - departing 18:10 and arriving SIN 00:35).

However, when I search for flights from CTS to SIN on 28 Jun 2015, there are 4 award spaces for that particular flight (though it's pegged to the various flights from CTS to HND/ NRT). I tried calling AA and they have indicated that there is only 1 award space available on JL0711.

Do you think I can book 4 award spaces on CTS to SIN, and only show up for the second leg (i.e. NRT to SIN)? Would that be allowed or would they cancel my ticket if I don't show for the first leg?

Thanks,
    pogreen

2. SpoiledBrat

SpoiledBrat Member

Business class? Bad new this time: certainly not!

But the good news: one of you can still possibly travel NRT to SIN if you act quick.

Seriously though, you have the option of taking the economy class flight (same day JL035 has 4 spaces), travel a day later or earlier (4 business class seats available, JL037, JL711), or route via HKG on Cathay Pacific (this seems to work from other cities than Tokyo only due to award inventory, implying a domestic connecting flight on JL from Tokyo).

3. SpoiledBrat

SpoiledBrat Member

Or Shinkansen to Nagoya, etc.

4. Tiffany

Tiffany One Mile At A Time

@pogreen -- British Airways does sometimes show phantom space on connecting flights. It's really frustrating.

I'm guessing you won't be able to book the four award spaces you're seeing on BA, especially as American is saying only one seat is available. However, if you were theoretically able to do so, you can't skip the first leg and have the rest of the ticket be valid, unfortunately.

5. Lucky

Lucky One Mile At A Time

Yep pogreen, unfortunately the phantom space when connecting flights are involved is a known glitch of the BA site. Won't be bookable. :(

6. Jayboo33

Jayboo33 New Member

Is there sometimes phantom space on BA for *direct* flights? BA shows 2 business class seats on JAL for LAX-KIX, but I called AA and they show no availability. I don't know whether to keep trying AA hoping the seats open up, or to go back to the drawing board. Any advice you can give me will be greatly appreciated!

7. MidSouth Skier

MidSouth Skier Well-Known Member

Welcome @Jayboo33 - have you tried looking on the Qantas website for comparison?

8. Jayboo33

Jayboo33 New Member

Thanks, @MidSouth Skier. I found nothing on the Quantas site, but according to pointhacks.com.au the Qantas site will not show JAL availability anyway.

Alaska's site shows 2 business class seats as late (early?) as 325 days out but I'm looking for 330 days out, so I'm questioning the BA site, and also wondering if Alaska's is more reliable for using AAdvantage miles...

Last edited: Dec 15, 2017