ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

Credit Cards OTA coding of airline ticket bookings

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by Glenn, Nov 7, 2017.

1. Glenn

Glenn New Member

Referencing this blog post:
    http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/2016/08/31/booking-flights-online-travel-agency/

Using momondo.com, it's often that we see OTA airline ticket pricing lower (sometimes just a little, sometimes significantly) than booking direct. However, I think it is important to distinguish which OTAs actually charge your card directly, and which OTAs submit your credit card information to the airlines such that the charge comes directly from the airlines, especially for those paying with Amex platinum (extra 4x) or PRG (extra 2x).

Below are my recent data points. Will be great if we could create a list.

OTA charges card directly:
    expedia.com.au (used this for the Air NZ mistake fare that was not to be)
    tripsta.com (used this for Qatar Airways 2-for-1 sale SOF-PVG rt in J) - got burnt with this one; OTA was $2203 vs direct $2263, lost out on ~9000 MR but saved $60

Charged by the airline:
    justfly.com (used this for Avianca JFK-LIM rt in J)
    ebookers.com (used this for Emirates SIN-JFK rt in Y)

No Name, rickyw and Gaurav like this.