ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

ORD to Scotland

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by savon, Oct 29, 2017.

1. savon

savon New Member

Hi -

First, thanks to everyone at this site, earlier this year my wife and I traveled around the world in business/first for next to nothing, including a week in the Maldives.

I'm planning a trip to Scotland for June/July 2018, would like to purchase one premium cabin ticket. I have plenty of UA/AA/UR points, about 70K TY, but not enough SPG for anything useful here. Of course availability is going to be somewhat bad during this time, I thought I'd ask about any creative ways to use miles/connections/even train rides to get me to Glasgow. I don't mind a short hop on Ryanair, etc.

Thanks!

2. Gaurav

Gaurav Well-Known Member

Hi @savon, positioning is pretty common so if you are open to it, I'd monitor all flights to destinations that are served by direct LCC carriers to Glasgow. I also find the UK train system pretty decent so you could fly pretty much any where on the island and be in Glasgow in a day.

No Name likes this.
  3. RTBones

RTBones Member

If you've never been to Scotland, taking the train is a great way to see the countryside. Its lovely. The UK rail system in general is good (dont let them tell you otherwise).

What you might consider is flying into the continent, then changing to an EasyJet, Jet2, or RyanAir to get you into the UK.

No Name likes this.
  4. No Name

No Name Well-Known Member

Don't forget the option of flying into Edinburgh Airport and taking the train to Glasgow from there, since it's a bit bigger airport than Glasgow and you have more options for airlines.

Norwegian and SAS to Scandiland. Norwegian and Vueling to Barcelona. Transavia to Paris. Eurowings to a number of German cities.

Then there is Turkish thru Istanbul and United has a seasonal direct from ORD. AA, Delta and Finnair all have seasonal flight s as well.

MidSouth Skier likes this.
  5. No Name

No Name Well-Known Member

And finally Edinburgh has more destinations from EasyJet, Jet2, or RyanAir than Glasgow.