ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

Hotels Marriott versus SPG Earn

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by ajs5034, Dec 1, 2017.

1. ajs5034

ajs5034 Reader

Let's say I'm going to be in Paris in the springtime for work and I'm looking at comparable properties from Starwood and Marriott. The rate is virtually the same -- say $300 (after the Euro-to-Dollar conversion). I'm SPG Gold, so Marriott Gold status, as well. I'm much better off staying at the Marriott property right, in terms of sheer earning potential? (Elite benefits aside at the properties)

I get 3 SPG points/$ spent at Starwood properties, but 12.5 Marriott Rewards points at a Marriott. Since Marriott trade at 3:1 for SPG, I'm effectively getting 4.17 SPG/$ spent at Marriott, or 1.17 cents more per dollar spent. Just want to make sure I'm doing this right... thanks.

2. Gaurav

Gaurav Well-Known Member

Yes, sounds right. Just make sure you're not at a Residence Inn, which only earns 5 base points/$ or 6.25 with elite bonus.

rickyw, MidSouth Skier and Tiffany like this.
  3. rickyw

rickyw Well-Known Member

Residence Inn and TownePlace Suites! Which I doubt there are any in Paris. But, both do only earn 5 base points/$$$.

Also, the full-service Marriott properties earn 10 base points/$$$ on all applicable charges. The limited service locations is only 10 base points/$$$ on room rates.

I'm loyal to Marriott to a fault, but very little experience with SPG, so not sure how SPG awards points for room rates vs charges. But, something to keep in mind if you dine at the hotel bar/room service/etc.

4. Gaurav

Gaurav Well-Known Member

rickyw likes this.