ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

Award Redemption Luggage and Combining award / non-award tickets

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by Uri, Oct 5, 2017.

1. Uri

Uri New Member

Hi All!

I am pondering buying a combination of award and non-award tickets. My reasoning being that with upgrade awards so hard to come by, I will use my miles for award tickets (specifically flying blue, although BA is looking good as well) to get business class tickets for the Trans Atlantic part of my journey, and buy plain-old-econmy for the shorter in-Europe leg. A combination such as SFO=>AMS (award) and AMS=>TLV (paid economy) comes to mind.
    Challenge is, those will be two separate bookings, how do I make sure the luggage travels the whole way and I don't have to wait at the carousel and re-check the luggage?

2. David W

David W Well-Known Member

Depends on the airline mix. Assuming you're flying KLM on both flights, based on your connection in AMS, just present both ticket confirmations to the check in agent at SFO and they should be able to check your bag thru to TLV.

If you're flying different airlines, then your first airline may not thru check your bag - it depends on interline agreements between both airlines.

3. Uri

Uri New Member

Thanks! and to double-confirm - this (ticket agent of KLM scenario) holds true even if the mix (in KLM) is business/economy, right? I don't get penalized for that?

4. David W

David W Well-Known Member

No, there shouldn't be any penalties. However (and I am not sure at all) if the short flight has different check bag limits/fees, they may assess that.

5. Tiffany

Tiffany One Mile At A Time

If your reservations are on separate tickets, you will probably have to pay any baggage fees due for the second flight at check-in for the first flight.