ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

LUFTHANSA CREDIT CARD

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by WENDYWEE, Nov 12, 2017.

1. WENDYWEE

WENDYWEE New Member

Hi, Lucky. Since you are a Tampa boy and also have ties to Germany, I’m hoping that you will be able to advise me on our situation. My husband is from DUS and all of his family is still there, so we go over every year or so. With the new-ish LH nonstop TPA to FRA, it’s been easier for us to get there.

We have quite a few miles on AA and some on UA that we can use for LH tickets. However, we’ve only been able to get coach tickets on LH using the UA miles.

If we can only get business class in one direction, it really needs to be eastbound, so we’ve been taking AA in business class to Europe, then the LH nonstop on the way back. That’s not too bad because we’ve always been able to pay for window exit seats ($100 pp) and at least we have good leg space.

My question is about a LH credit card. We have friends from HAM who have a vacation home here in Pinellas County and they told us that the LH frequent flyer program is pretty worthless. Can you give any advice on it? I know that LH has a Barclay credit card in the US that we could each get that has a 50,000 mile bonus, but I haven’t been able to find any info on how easy/hard it is to redeem miles with LH.

Do you know of any other credit card that will let you transfer miles/points to LH? Any suggestions for making it easier to accumulate and use LH miles??

2. MidSouth Skier

MidSouth Skier Well-Known Member

Welcome @WENDYWEE -
    yes, Barclay's does have a LH credit card and it your case it might be worthwhile beyond the sign-up bonus. Normally LH miles expire after 3 years and no amount of activity in your account will keep them from expiring but if you have the credit card and have recurring charges (I forget the exact criteria) it will keep your LH miles from expiring.

As for the Miles & More program itself, while it's not the most rewarding, it does give you access to premium cabin space long before partners can access it. With UA miles you can only book LH premium space if any seats remain 2 weeks in advance of the flight. At least with M&M miles you can book it months in advance.

Of course there is a catch and that is that LH imposes fuel surcharges so those premium seats are going to cost over $400 each way on top of spending your miles.

So it all depends on your priorities...

Gaurav and No Name like this.