ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

Keeping track: Do you log flights?

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by JParker, Nov 10, 2017.

1. JParker

JParker Reader

Ok OMAAT fam, here's a hobby question. Do y'all keep a record of each flight you take? Ben's recent post about Delta's ~well preserved~ A319 mentioned that he hadn't flown "one of these" since 2008. I first read that as he hadn't flow that specific aircraft (ex N330NB) since 2008, and I was really impressed he recorded that info (and also the amazing coincidence). Then I thought there's no way the stars aligned so precisely and he's that thorough with his logs. But, I've learned never to underestimate an avgeek's passion.

So, friends, do you record a log of each flight you take? Is it weird that I do? If so, how? I bet the volume of Ben's data would be very interesting.

2. No Name

No Name Well-Known Member

3. rickyw

rickyw Well-Known Member

I started logging mine with JetLovers.com a few years back. Logs everything from seat assignment to aircraft registration number

And gives you a cool map of everywhere you've flown (small screenshot of mine below) :cool:

upload_2017-11-11_22-25-50.png

Gia, MidSouth Skier and No Name like this.
  4. MidSouth Skier

MidSouth Skier Well-Known Member

I use JetLovers too. I liked that even though Twitter was banned in China, some of my Swarm check-ins that I posted to Twitter made it through and were picked up automatically. I was then able to go back and fill in the gaps.

Here's my map [​IMG]

Gia, No Name and rickyw like this.
  5. rickyw

rickyw Well-Known Member

Midsouth, are you Memphis based? Who is the airline of choice there, or do you just shop based on price? Just curious!

6. Gia

Gia Active Member

I’ve kept records for the past 13 years, mostly because I own a business and need to expense out my flights and other travel costs. Mine is in a spreadsheet and has just about every detail except tail numbers. Every year I hear rumors of the IRS proposing to tax award miles (flights) and it would be hard to reconstruct business vs personal miles years after they were flown. Hopefully, we won’t see that unhappy tax change.

7. MidSouth Skier

MidSouth Skier Well-Known Member

I am Memphis-based. We were a Northwest hub which transitioned to a Delta hub and then we were de-hubbed. But even when we were a Delta hub they weren't my airline of choice just because of the frequent flyer program. Now I rarely take them as I fly west more than east and I'd have to go to ATL/MSP/DTW before heading west. Plus I have a good friend in Chicago but DL no longer has a non-stop on that route.

In the past I'd been an AA loyalist (just because that was the airline my dad had always flown and he'd let me use his miles) but am finding myself on UA more often than not. I had a work trip overseas last summer on UA and that was enough to give me Silver status so now I find myself giving them preference.

rickyw likes this.
  8. Gaurav

Gaurav Well-Known Member

I was using flightdiary and they've transitioned to flight radar. I'll have to check out jetlovers!

On a semi-related note, does anyone know of anyplace else a plane's registration number is listed other than the fuselage? Sometimes it's hard to see it while boarding and deplaning. If I don't remember to input the segment right away the system can't track it either...

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
    rickyw likes this.
  9. rickyw

rickyw Well-Known Member

That's where JetLovers comes in handy for me. As long as you enter your flight info within a week or so of when you fly, it pulls the info from somewhere (don't know where), and auto fills it.

Say you flew AA 1 recently (JFK - LAX), you just enter the flight number and choose your date.

upload_2017-11-13_7-25-42.png