ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

Award Redemption HK to Tokyo- which points currency can I use?

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by MMM, Oct 24, 2017.

1. MMM

MMM Member

I don't know anything about booking award travel within Asia. Hope someone can suggest best use of points, how many required, estimated taxes, etc. if I wanted to book Business or First class for a family member, either one way or return from HKG to Tokyo. And would need to do it rather last minute potentially.

I was thinking Cathay Pacific using Alaska or BA Avios? Is that allowed & how many points & taxes required? Thank you!

Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
  2. Gaurav

Gaurav Well-Known Member

Yep. Booked CX first class last year with AS miles. We were the only people in the nose of the 747. Fun trip!

No Name likes this.
  3. No Name

No Name Well-Known Member

While it cost 2500 AS miles more in J or F you can also fly JAL in case there is no space with Cathay.

4. MMM

MMM Member

Wow that's awesome. How many AS points does that require?

5. MMM

MMM Member

I'm seeing that JAL one way is 25k points. Is that what you mean? Will JAL allow one ways like Cathay or do you have to do return? Thanks!

Also, saw that it takes 20k BA Avios for one way on Cathay Business or 40k Avios for first class.

6. Gaurav

Gaurav Well-Known Member

The AS award chart for CX is 22.5k in J and 27.5k in F one way. We also included a connection in J to REP in the same ticket. Avios are a decent currency on that route too since I believe they do not add surcharges on HKG routes (not sure if it is just flights that originate in HKG or arrive there too).

No Name likes this.
  7. MMM

MMM Member

Sorry, so does this mean if my friend actually wants to go from Tokyo to Taipei (as final destination) instead of HK, the Alaskan CX award ticket would allow her to do that for free? BA Avios doesn't allow that correct? And is JAL awards only round trip or do I have that mistaken?
    I also checked Avios and HK to Tokyo is $41 in taxes on business class. However, it's only $27 flying back to HK from Tokyo in first class. Both seem very reasonable and similar to Alaskan taxes?

Thanks!

8. No Name

No Name Well-Known Member

JAL should allow one-ways same as Cathay, it's Korean that is mentioned in the fine print charging the same for oneways as returns.

25k points in J and 30K points in F was what I meant yes.

Yes on a Alaskan CX award you would get tyo-hkg-tpe for the same as tyo-hkg, but while I can't find it in writing right now I don't think a stopover in HKG is allowed on Asia to Asia awards. My memory might be wrong on this.

BA Avios are charged per segment, So tyo-hkg-tpe would be one award for 1842 miles and one award for 502 miles.

Just for future reference it's possible to transfer BA Avios into the Iberia Avios and be charged for the sum for the whole trip 2344 miles, but not sure if you have time to link the accounts before your friend travels.
    http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/2016/02/18/transfer-avios-british-airways-iberia/

9. MMM

MMM Member

Thanks No Name! I would be totally lost & confused without you guys!