ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

Inflight Experience / Seating HELP! Was booted off an Aer Lingus flight that I booked with BA points.

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by weltall, Nov 6, 2017.

1. weltall

weltall Reader

I have no idea how this happened but I was allowed to go through check-in, security, enter the lounge and get on my Aer Lingus flight (business class from BOS to DUB) earlier tonight only to have a staff member come to my seat after boarding and tell me that theres a problem with my reservation as there's no Ticket # attached to the reservation. They told me that it was BA's mistake and that I'd have to take it up with them. Only problem is BA is closed since the flight was leaving at 930pm EST.

I have a confirmation number and avios were removed from my account for the redemption and I received a verbal confirmation from the agent that the reservation was successful. I understand these things happen but what is my recourse here? I booked a hotel in Dublin that has a 24 hour cancellation policy that I probably will have problems cancelling. At the very least I know they'll give me my Avios back but other than that I feel that the hours of my time that they wasted and the experience of boarding a plane and being asked to leave was extremely unpleasant to say the least. What sort of recourse am I entitled to? I don't live in Boston and I'll have to figure something out for tonight which means more money down the drain.

I don't really know who else to ask about this situation. I'm hoping someone from OMAAT or this board can give me some advice.

2. Gaurav

Gaurav Well-Known Member

That sounds awful. Hopefully you were able to find some place to stay. Did you check with your credit card to see if there was any travel disruption coverage that you were entitled to? Ultimately I'd take this up with BA. If you don't get help up front Elliott.org has the contact information of people up the food chain who might be more help. You could also consider sharing on social media, or with journalists who focus on customer service issues. Good luck!

3. No Name

No Name Well-Known Member

4. PJS678

PJS678 New Member

I had sort of a similar issue (problem with award ticket booked through one program flying on a partner airline) a few weeks ago, but it worked out better.

I booked a biz award using Korean Skypass points flying on DL/KL flights to/from and intra-Europe. It was all one 80k award with 6 flights total. When I went to check in online for the first flight (ATL-LHR on DL), neither Delta.com or the app would give me a boarding pass. I thought it was strange, but I figured I would just get one at the airport.

At the airport, I arrived over 2 hours before my flight, went to the Sky priority check-in and the agent could not print the boarding pass either. He said the ticket was within airport control, but Korean still had it and Delta could not do anything with it. I tried the kiosks as well, but no dice. Of course, the one Korean flight had left hours ago so there was no one there to help in person. I called Korean and they claimed that the issue was with Delta. I went back to the Delta agent and we were on the phone with a combo of Korean customer service, Delta IT and Korean IT for over an hour before Korean finally agreed to re-ticket the itinerary. Meanwhile, it was 5:30pm and the flight left at 6pm.

The Delta agent and his supervisor called the gate and told them I was on the way. It took 25 minutes to get through security thanks to the pre-check line being closed and I ran to the gate, where they re-opened the boarding door for me and got me on board. The Delta agent was very patient and worked through all the possibilities with me until he got me the boarding pass.

Obviously, the differences are that I had booked a valid award ticket and that Delta would not let me board this flight without a boarding pass. I'm not sure how the OP got through the whole check-in process with a phantom ticket.

I tell this story to warn that if you have a partner award on DL metal and you can't check in online, make sure you show up early and get the issue sorted out.