ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

Award Redemption HELP - United Cancelled my seats

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by Matthew Love, Dec 1, 2017.

1. Matthew Love

Matthew Love New Member

Hey fellow travel nerds,

Looking for advice/support on an issue I’m having on an award booking with United.

I booked award tickets for my fiancé and I back in August on Singapore Airlines using my United Miles:

BNE > SIN > DPS (Brisbane to Denpasar, Bali - via Singapore)

DPS > SIN > SYD (Denpasar, Bali to Sydney - via Singapore)

As you’ve probably seen in the last few weeks, there’s a volcano which has disrupted travel in the area. My partner and I decided to change our holiday from Bali to Thailand.

We called the United call centre last night to make the change. The agent made and confirmed the appropriate change:

BNE > SIN > BKK

BKK > SIN > SYD

This is also confirmed in the confirmation emails we received from United.

When I logged-in to Singapore to book my meals this morning, I noticed that my return flights are showing up as

DPS > SIN

BKK > SIN

So, right now I have 2 flights on the same day around the same time from BKK AND DPS to SIN… But no way home to Sydney. (screen shot attached)

I have spoken with the Manager at United’s overseas call centre. While they admitted to making a mistake (dropping the SIN > SYD segment), there’s no award space left to rebook us on that day. The only thing they have offered to do is provide us with a $125 voucher.

Any thoughts on how I should proceed?

Attached Files:

2. Gaurav

Gaurav Well-Known Member

Call then back and escalate. Ask them to use the Star Alliance liason to resolve the problem. Be polite but don't take no for an answer. United booked you on the award and made a mistake. That's on them to fix. If you don't get any progress Elliott.org has contact information for people higher in the chain that might be able to help. Good luck. I hope things work out for you!

Tiffany likes this.