ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

Help Needed - Schedule Change Xiamen, airline refusing to offer viable alternatives

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by BenJones, Nov 3, 2017.

1. BenJones

BenJones Reader

I’m in a bit of bind for an upcoming flight and would really appreciate some help/advise.

I had booked LAX to Beijing in Business Class (outbound 16th November, return 26th Nov) with Xiamen Airlines (booked through Expedia). They have had a minor schedule change on the Xiamen - Beijing leg which means my connection falls out of the minimum connection time, and have therefore been moved to a later flight Xiamen - Beijing. Unfortunately that flight gets me into Beijing too late for a meeting I was supposed to have there.

I have contacted the airline (through Expedia) multiple times to try to get the flights changed, but the airline is refusing to offer any alternatives with another SkyTeam airline. I am from the UK, and so the normal experience (with BA for example) would be that they are obliged to provide me with alternative flights that suit my schedule, but I’m unsure whether this is the case in the US (or China).

I’d really appreciate some advise on what I can do in this situation. The airline is saying that I either accept the change or cancel the ticket - I’d prefer not to cancel as the flight cost is much more expensive now. However, I’d be happy to use miles for alternative flights, I have lots of Avios, Amex points, Virgin Atlantic and Etihad miles, but none seem that useful for this route!

With the uncertainty, I’ve had to cancel that meeting anyway, and so would now ideally fly out the evening of the 17th Nov or morning of 18th Nov (from SFO or SJC, not LAX). I’d really appreciate any help or advise you could offer either on how to manage the schedule change, or how I can use miles to book alternative flights.

Original Flight on 16th Nov with Xiamen details below:

Departs Los Angeles (LAX)
    10:50pm
    Arrives Xiamen (XMN)
    5:35am

Departs Xiamen (XMN) Arrives Beijing (PEK)
    7:00am 9:50am

New Flights with Xiamen on 16th Nov:

Departs Los Angeles (LAX)
    10:50pm
    Arrives Xiamen (XMN)
    5:35am

Departs Xiamen (XMN) Arrives Beijing (PEK)
    11:00am 1:50pm
    Thanks again,

Ben