ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

Fee to change airline (same origin/destination) on AA award?

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by kw2652, Oct 30, 2017.

1. kw2652

kw2652 New Member

Hi, I have an award flight on hold with AA but I want to make sure I understand the current rules before I ticket. It would be CDG - LHR - LAX - SFO on a combination of British Airways (first leg only) and American (legs 2 and 3). If I later wanted to change the date, but this meant going from AA to BA on the transatlantic leg (for example CDG - LHR - SFO), would I have to pay a change fee (assuming same origin and destination)? (I know BA has higher fuel surcharges, but I'd like to know if I would also have to pay a change fee. I thought the answer was no, but I'm a bit confused about the interpretation of this language on American's website:
    • For awards involving travel on other airlines, origin or destination changes or changes to the airline(s) in the itinerary will incur a change fee of $150, even when retaining the same award type
    Can someone clarify how this works in practice? Thanks!

2. Gaurav

Gaurav Well-Known Member

I've never been charged a change fee as long as the origin and destination are the same. I would think this would be fine. Sometimes AA will charge a fee if you switch from a one-world to a non one-world partner but that doesn't seem to be the case here.

kw2652 likes this.