ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

Great Fares / Hot Deals Ex Cairo (QR) full refund scam...

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by Motupitiau, Oct 9, 2017.

1. Motupitiau

Motupitiau New Member

I was suppose to travel 07th june 2017 Cai-Bkk-Cai....yes, exactly the day airspace closed for Qatar flights!
    I bought this ticket in september 2016 for €568 (Business Class) incl tax, a great deal.
    They offered me a full refund on the ticket and I accepted.
    On 31th aug 2017 I received my 'refund' only €272!!!! I was in shock and wrote several mails to Privilege Club (I am Platinum member) but until today nothing changed. They told me they are entitled to use the exchange rate of the day of refund (big devaluation!) instead of the date of ticketissue. So the egyptian pound amount they refunded is correct, but its the exchange rate that's almost 50% lower than when I bought the ticket. I am so disappointed with Qatar and how they handled this. Is there anything I can do? I live in the Netherlands and bought the ticket on the QR website.

2. David W

David W Well-Known Member

Honestly, I dont think there is anything you can do - the ticket was purchased in Egypt Pounds and refunded as such. QR cant really control the exchange rates. It's a risk and a cost to you.

Conversely, had the Egyptian Pound appreciated and you received more Euros as a refund, would you have demanded QR to correct and return the extra euros to them?

3. Luis

Luis Member

Pretty much this. Not clear which part of this you think is a scam.

4. Motupitiau

Motupitiau New Member

Hi David, thanks for your reply.
    IATA Agents in the Netherlands will always use the exchange rate from the ticket issue date when a rerouting or refund is involved. Anyway, I learned my lesson and will never, ever accept a refund again from 'outside' EU carriers. But besides this issue, QR is still my favorite airline for flying. It is just this issue that's leaving a very bad taste in my mouth.