ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

Destinations / Itineraries Emirates chauffeur - tip

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by Malc, May 19, 2015.

1. Malc

Malc Member

Hi, should I tip the Emirates chauffeur? If so, how many baht in Bangkok? Thank you

2. TexasFlyer

TexasFlyer Member

In Thailand this will be cheap.
    Depends on distance:
    THB 1,000 short distance less than 10 km
    THB 2,000 mid-range, up to 25 km
    THB 3,000 long distance, if more than 25 km (most central hotels)

If over 60 km, there is a surcharge anyway:
    http://www.emirates.com/english/images/ChauffeurDrive_Bangkokv3_tcm233-1365886.pdf
    in these cases tip THB 4,000 for Pattaya, or THB 5,000 if going even longer.
    Hope this helps.

You may want to add an extra tip of THB 500 if lot of luggage.

3. Malc

Malc Member

Hi, I'm confused. I could catch a taxi to the airport for 400 or so baht, and you're suggesting I tip a complementary Emirates ride to the airport 3,000 baht?

4. TexasFlyer

TexasFlyer Member

That is what we usually tip yes. I agree it is bit too generous but it makes all the difference especially if you do it at the start of the ride. If you fly into BKK in award business or first anyway, don't be cheap.

5. TexasFlyer

TexasFlyer Member

And Emirates service is not a taxi.

6. Malc

Malc Member

Thanks for that.

Does anyone else have any thoughts. A nearly one-hundred dollar tip for a free ride seems almost dissociative to me. I don't travel Business enough to be able to afford that kind of lifestyle. I'd be keen to know what others tip.

7. TexasFlyer

TexasFlyer Member

There is no tip needed at all by the way, it is not the U.S.; and if you only intend to give 1-2 dollars better give nothing. These drivers are not that poor.

8. TexasFlyer

TexasFlyer Member

And ultimately it depends on the quality of service too, so why don't you prepare a few 100 and 500 baht banknotes just in case you will feel the service was that good.

9. Malc

Malc Member

Thanks, that makes sense.

I'd still like to hear from someone else! Just to get a variety of answers.

I'd actually like to Ask Lucky what he thinks ...

10. SpoiledBrat

SpoiledBrat Member

We, SpoiledBrats, never tip. Ever.

Heck, we would even cancel our first class tickets once we have been transported to the airport or forge Emirates boarding passes to get free rides back home from airports. Anything to get into these black sedans. And the drivers are usually cute too.

Seriously, tipping is not compulsory. If you need to ask this question here multiple times, do not tip at all. It is not for you.

11. Tiffany

Tiffany One Mile At A Time

@Malc -- It's certainly not required, nor even expected, but I would personally probably give around 1000-2000 THB if traveling solo or as a couple. More if I had a great deal of luggage, was traveling with a family, or was going out of the way.

But I tend to be what most probably consider an overly-generous tipper, so take that with a grain of salt.

@Lucky has thoughts on the Emirates chauffeur here as well: http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/2014/06/03/tip-airline-chauffeur/

12. Malc

Malc Member

Great, thanks Tiffany. And thanks for the link.

Malc

13. Philip

Philip New Member

Typical american way of tipping! 1000 Baht per 10 km are insane! C'mon...the average fix incomes of those drivers don't exceed 10.000 Baht/month. I wouldn't tip more than 500 Baht per 30min. Or would you tip a Uber driver 500 Dollar in the US for a 30 Min ride? Surely not...but that's more or less the comparison we're talking about.

Last edited: May 21, 2015
    Tiffany likes this.
  14. Malc

Malc Member

Thanks for that, Philip. As a Kiwi, I was a bit shocked by the numbers being suggested. I'd decided to tip 500 - I can't bring myself to tip more than it would have cost me to get the airport to begin with!

Tiffany likes this.
  15. Sean M.

Sean M. Member

I don't think most of the people here appreciate the actual cost of living in some countries. The actual cost that Emirates pays to the chauffeur company is probably not as high as some of the figures being thrown around. 500 Baht is probably on the high side but not obscenely so.

In the UAE, I will tip AED 10 ($3) for trips in Dubai and AED 20 ($6) for trips to other Emirates. In Mumbai, INR 100 ($2) at most. In the UK GBP 5-10 ($8-15) depending on the distance. The tip is the icing on the cake, not the meal itself.

Malc likes this.
  16. No Name

No Name Well-Known Member

As Sean M. wisely said cost of living.

25K Bath a month is a normal starting salary for new university graduate in BKK if memory serves me.

Perhaps I'm a bit cheap, but @TexasFlyer @Tiffany you would be seriously over tipping the following links is the cost of AOT limousine service. AOT is the company that runs BKK airport

Up to 35KM 2300 Bath for a BMW 7 Series.

Pattaya aka 120KM 6100 Bath for a BMW 7 Series, 4500 Bath for a MB E-class

http://www.suvarnabhumiairport.com/en/115-limousine

http://www.aot-limousine.com/web/vehicle_type.html#ad-image-0

Tiffany likes this.
  17. Nicholas Bedworth

Nicholas Bedworth New Member

Having spent a fair amount of time in Thailand over the past 25 years, a 200-300 THB tip for a lift from BKK downtown would be gratefully and graciously received. More than that would not generally be expected, and could be a bit awkward culturally.

Perhaps if one is going to the Oriental, Regency or Kempenski, the expectations might be a little different, but still...

And sure, with lots of bags, bad weather, long delays, possibly a little more, but not much. Too big a tip could well be hurtful and insulting in a somewhat difficult to explain way: The driver knows it is inappropriate and would feel badly taking the money from you. On several occasions, a driver or other service person has said, it's too much.

Thai culture works in mysterious and endearing ways sometimes... this is one of them.

No Name, Malc, Tiffany and 1 other person like this.
  18. Malc

Malc Member

Thanks very much for a clear and thorough reply.