ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

Delta provided me giftcards for a bumped flight, but took back the balance.

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by Carl G, May 15, 2017.

1. Carl G

Carl G Reader

Hi,

I'm in a really annoying situation and am hoping I could get some advice.

Back in October of 2016 I had been bumped off a flight by Delta airlines and given a $700 compensation in Amazon giftcards. I was explicitly told these cards would not expire and since Amazon has that as their own internal policy; I figured it would be the best choice.

Since I'm not a big Amazon user I decided to hold on to some of the balance until a big purchase would come along. Recently in May I decided to use my remaining giftcard and was given a statement from Amazon saying my cards had been locked. I actually reached out to customer support and was told that the issuing party, an organization called Affinion Group (which handles Delta's loyalty program) had requested and obtained the refund.

I've contacted a few Delta departments and the argument I've received is that because it had been over 90 days; they were not responsible and would not be returning the balance. I also did not receive an explanation for why my balance had been refunded besides there was a general issue with fraud in Amazon cards.

They've offered me a concession of $400 (below my remaining balance of $500), but beyond that they've refused to acknowledge they took back my amount and even blamed Amazon for the loss of funds.

I feel sick to my stomach about the whole thing and, from what I've read, feel they may have breached our agreement. I've gone ahead and written about this situation to the DOT consumer affair's department. I don't understand how they can deny responsibility if the action happened after 90 days but being active enough in my business to take my balance.

Any advice? Been in a similar situation? Apparently this was a unique case.

2. Gaurav

Gaurav Well-Known Member

I would also file with the CPFB and the BBB. You might also consider reaching out to senior management. Elliott.org maintains a list of contact info. Good luck.

Miko likes this.
  3. rickyw

rickyw Active Member

Not trying to dissuade you from escalating your situation as Guarav mentioned, since you are certainly due the full $700, but here's how I see it:

If I'm reading correctly, Sounds like you were given $700 for the bump. You already used $200 (you mention you had $500 left). Delta then took the balance back. Then at your request, they offered back $400. So, you're essentially looking to recoup the extra $100.

Personally, I'd chalk the whole thing to being bumped for a $600 voucher and move on. Seems like a lot of work for $100 voucher.

Again, probably not the advice you were looking for, but happened to read this post twice today and figured I'd offer a different perspective :)

Miko likes this.