ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

Award Redemption Could someone explain why VIE-AMS-SLC-SEA is not bookable on Delta?

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by SeattleTodd, Nov 8, 2017.

1. SeattleTodd

SeattleTodd Member

Hello,

I'm perplexed as to why this routing is not bookable on Delta.com:

VIE-AMS-SLC (KLM)
    SLC-SEA (Delta)

On Delta.com, AMS-SEA is available for 85K in "Delta One", and VIE-AMS is available for 25K in Delta One -- both are the lowest level of mileage required for those routes with partner airlines.

So shouldn't the whole thing be bookable for 85K miles, perhaps with slightly more (or even less) taxes and fees?

If I put in VIE-SEA as a one-way, nothing close to this routing comes up.

If I put in VIE-AMS and AMS-SEA as a multi-city I immediately get an "Uh oh!" error talking about seasonal and/or non-daily flights.

Delta customer service and online support both were unhelpful.

What's going on? Is this just a limitation of the software interfaces, or am I missing something that could make the whole routing VIE-AMS-SLC-SEA unavailable?

Thanks!
    Todd

2. Gaurav

Gaurav Well-Known Member

I've had that happen occasionally because of whatever logic Delta programs into their computers. I'd book the VIE-SLC online and then call DL within the 24 hr free change window to see if they can add on the last segment since you need to make a change. Hopefully that'll work.

No Name likes this.
  3. SeattleTodd

SeattleTodd Member

Hey Gaurav,

Thanks so much as always. Unfortunately, I can't do that, and maybe you've hit on the crux of the problem.

Trying to book VIE-SLC comes up with a lowest fare of 162,500 miles and VIE-AMS-SLC is not in the list of 14 results.

If I try to book AMS-SLC, the nonstop I need is 85K miles. If I try to books AMS-SLC-SEA, it's still 85K miles.

If I try to book VIE-AMS, it's 25K miles (business).

So the problem seems to be that somehow connecting from VIE-AMS is "not allowed" or at least not allowed by their software.

It's frustrating because this *should* be possible, right?

In fact, I'm holding the same VIE-AMS-SLC flights on KLM booked through Alaska MileagePlan. I was interested in trying to do it through Delta so I could include SLC-SEA on Delta "for free"; the flight from AMS-SLC arrives after Alaska's last flight SLC-SEA.

But Alaska doesn't charge the same crazy surcharges for starting in Europe, but then I will have to pay for SLC-SEA on Delta out of pocket, which added to Alaska's fees I think would be slightly more than the total charges of booking the whole thing with Delta (though I can't really tell since I can't get the itinerary to com up) -- just estimating based on taxes and fees of VIE-AMS + taxes and fees of AMS-SEA.

I'd love your insightful thoughts as always!

Best,
    Todd

4. Gaurav

Gaurav Well-Known Member

Sorry, I read that wrong initially. I'd book the AMS-SEA legs and then call DL to add the VIE AMS legs. Worst case scenario you could check out LCC or train options in Europe...

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
  5. Tiffany

Tiffany One Mile At A Time

Two causes:

1) You're involving Delta metal, which changes how the awards combine/price
    2) When Delta metal is included in an award, you're also subject to their origin/destination algorithms

You could try booking AMS-SEA, then calling to add the segment from Vienna, but my suspicion is that it will reprice regardless. More on this here: http://onemileatatime.boardingarea....lse-will-tell-you-about-booking-delta-awards/

No Name and Gaurav like this.
  6. SeattleTodd

SeattleTodd Member

Thanks
    Thanks so much @Tiffany and @Gaurav -- I really appreciate your help as always. Tiffany, that was some post you referenced -- I'm not sure I could follow exactly how it applied to my situation, but it was enough to make me believe what I'm experiencing is not unexpected. :)

I think I'll just keep my booking with Alaska Mileage plan for the VIE-AMS-SLC flights -- $95 in fees including Alaska's $12.50 partner charge, which is considerably cheaper than whatever the fees would be with SkyMiles if we could get it to price out.

The downside is that I'll have to pay for a ticket on Delta for SLC-SEA; unless Alaska adds a later SLC-SEA flight before we travel (Sept 3, 2018), the KLM flight arrives in SLC after the last Alaska flight to SEA, which would otherwise be "free". Still, paying for the Delta flight SLC-SEA won't be that much more than the savings in fees by booking with Mileage Plan.

I'm going to post a separate question about whether these flights are better/worse than flying VIE-LAX-SEA on Austrian and AA/AS.

Thanks so much!

Todd

Tiffany, Gaurav and rickyw like this.
  7. SeattleTodd

SeattleTodd Member

@Tiffany and @Gaurav -- I value your opinions a lot -- would you mind sharing your thoughts on my KLM vs. Austrian post? :) Thanks so much!

Todd

8. Gaurav

Gaurav Well-Known Member

I haven't traveled either of those so I'll leave it to @Tiffany :)

9. Richard on Dauntless

I don't think it's that complicated. The Delta system has issues with any multiple leg, multiple partner, multiple country flights. What has made is so frustrating, is that the telephone agents now seem to see the same crap we see. How helpful is that?!

I also think they purposely made the system somewhat clunky as it leads to higher ticket computations, certainly not lower. That to why I think the telephone agents often can't help.