ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

Award Redemption CONSOLIDATED: Questions on booking Etihad First and Business with AA miles

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by Kathy, Nov 18, 2015.

1. Gaurav

Gaurav Well-Known Member

@Rakibul Islam I like how Persistence over Resistance has changed from a question mark to an exclamation point :D

2. Tiffany

Tiffany One Mile At A Time

Yeah, there are crazy issues right now with married segments and space not confirming properly. If you've changed EY segments within an existing PNR make sure it actually tickets, and promptly.

3. Sergey

Sergey New Member

I'm flying DFW-AUH-SYD on EY F, and my flight to SYD leaves next morning. Am I correct that EY does not provide a comp hotel for long layovers on award tickets even for F passengers? If not, what is a reasonable place for overnight stay? Reading Lucky's recent reviews on hotels in AUH (like Rosewood), I would love to choose a city hotel, but I'm not sure it would be a good choice, since I arrive to AUH ~8PM, and depart at ~11AM next morning, and probably it would be a waste of money.

Also, is there a pattern how EY releases F seats close to departure on premium rote? I fly AUH-SYD on 777, and on A380 there are no availability, but it seems there are 5 seats available. I was monitoring the same flight few days ago (departure on Jan. 6), which had the same tendency (guest seats are 'sold out', freedom seats - 5), but they never went to award seats and disappeared 3 hours before departure. I would love to swap F at 777 to A380 F.

4. Sergey

Sergey New Member

Thanks, @Gaurav, but your link is for DOH airport (not AUH). As I understand, EY (and other middle east airline) don't do a comp. nights. I probably go to city for night, my only concern that I arrive late and leave early, so I wouldn't be able to see a city (on the pictures, it looks very nice) and therefore, I probably don't need an upscale hotel.

5. Gaurav

Gaurav Well-Known Member

6. Sergey

Sergey New Member

7. Chris Cain

Chris Cain New Member

Can anyone tell me why Etihad site shows Guest First and I have tried calling AA for a week and they keep saying there is no First class available?

8. Gaurav

Gaurav Well-Known Member

@Chris Cain, have you called the Australia number?

9. Chris Cain

Chris Cain New Member

The number for American in Australia?

10. David W

David W Well-Known Member

@Chris Cain Yes. If you call AAdvantage in Australia, they should be able to see the premium cabin award space and book it for you. You can use Google Voice or Skype to call as they have very cheap rates for international calls. The number is 011-61-2-9101-1948

11. Chris Cain

Chris Cain New Member

Thank you, I will give it a shot!

12. David W

Good Luck!. I haven't had any problems calling them and booking an EY award though some people said there were some issues changing the tickets later. YMMV I guess. Tiffany has posted about it on the Ask Lucky forum. Go thru the other pages in this thread and other Etihad threads. Most questions probably have an answer somewhere already

13. Ben

Ben New Member

Certainly seeing issues with changing a ticket. @Tiffany - what has been your experience? I have CAI-AUH booked in J (AUH-JFK booked in F) - trying to change the J segment to an F segment that opened and they can't find space, but when I make a new reservation they can see it.

Also strange issue that the AUS desk is pricing CAI-AUH-JFK as two awards whereas the US desk isn't; have to call the AUS desk to hold it, and then US desk to ticket for 90k! Very strange.

14. Tiffany

@Ben -- It's just a mess. I'm still trying to figure out what exactly happened with my ticket, and I don't want to give bad advice.

If you want to do an experiment, try getting an agent to sell the space in manually. Horrifyingly, you might have to find a pre-merger US agent. If they longsell the space, it should confirm, but you'll want to insist that it's ticketed right away. That should work, but I'm not 100% certain yet.

I'm pretty sure that the problem with my ticket ended up being the ticket sitting for too long in the queue, and Etihad pulling the space back. I think.

15. Alex chiang

Alex chiang New Member

Hi OMAAT, do you guys know what's the issue with AA international call centers? I've tried australia, UK, singapore, China, Hong Kong. The automated system answers, but once I make the selection to try to get an agent, it becomes staticky and disconnects. And unfortunately, the US call center agents can't see EY award space. Any suggestions?

16. Ben

Ben New Member

@Tiffany - any idea how to get them to long sell? The ones I've asked won't budge :(

17. Tiffany

Well, like any longsell, you sorta have to make them think it's their idea. If they have a Texas accent, they likely won't do it. Your best bet is to find a Miami-based agent, or a PMUS agent. An example of how Ben talks to phone agents can be found here: http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/2014/09/23/talk-phone-agents/

I wish I had more insights to offer on this, but I'm still in the research phase on this one. So frustrating!!

18. David W

@Tiffany whats your definition of too long in the ticketing queue for an EY award? I had one ticketed after a week and a half and another still sitting in the queue and its been close to 2 weeks. I know people have had it in the queue for MONTHS before it tickets though. The ones I have in the queue are for travel in October - is it worth a call to get it moving along?

19. Tiffany

@David W -- Well, I think Etihad might have a "before departure" cut off. Maybe.

So with my ticket, it was sent to reissue, but it wasn't ticketed right away. Four hours before departure (when I called to follow up), all the EY segments had been pulled.

But no, for travel in October I don't know that you need to worry about it. I just think reissues/urgent travel might need special handling right now.

20. David W

Thanks for the quick feed back Tiffany!