ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

Award Redemption CONSOLIDATED: Questions on booking Etihad First and Business with AA miles

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by Kathy, Nov 18, 2015.

1. John P

John P New Member

I just upgraded my reservation for in J for May 2016 (made back in November) AUH-JFK to F. There were no seats available in F when I first made the reservation, so availability on the A380 flights has definitely opened up. Additional 22.5k miles and about $20 in additional taxes per ticket. AA EXP desk could not do it so I had to call direct to AA AUS desk and they seem to have no problems. Follow the advice of everyone on this thread and call the Australian call center directly after checking for space on the Etihad Guest site

MidSouth Skier likes this.
  2. David W

David W Well-Known Member

@John P were you told why there were additional taxes and fees and what those specifically were? $20 isn't a significant amount but for regular paid travel, the taxes and fees for a J ticket compared to an F ticket is exactly the same.

When I upgraded my own ticket, I was told that while taxes were exactly the same, I would be refunded the taxes on the J ticket and a new charge would be made for the taxes on the F ticket.

3. John P

John P New Member

David W, when the availability was there I was too excited to catch the exact details. After checking my charges, you were correct-- the taxes and fees were the same. My original ticket in J was held in AUS and ticketed in the US, fees of USD 89. The new ticket was ticketed in AUS with fees of AUD 121, so they were the same. The agent said USD for both, but the actual charges show that the reissue was actually in quoted in AUD. Thanks for pointing out the discrepancy.

To that note, my original reservation was held after calling the AUS call center, then I called the US EXP desk to ticket. That was a mistake. I had a lot of problems with them ticketing (took over a week and had to be sent for review twice before the ticket was issued). This time I just had the AUS center ticket, and it was ticketed in less than 12 hrs.

4. David W

David W Well-Known Member

@John P I still think those taxes are quite high. For my own AUH-JFK award that's on hold (sadly, i'll probably have to let it go) I was told taxes are about 35AUD....might want to ask to have a breakdown of taxes from AA and see why yours are so high

5. John P

John P New Member

@David W Upon your suggestion, I called and got a fee breakdown.

The actual routing is AUH-JFK-CLT-ATL

United Arab Emirates Security and Safety Fee (TP) $1.40 USD
    United Arab Emirates Passenger Service Charge (AE) $20.40 USD
    US Customs Fee (YC) $5.50 USD
    US Immigration Fee (XY) $7.00 USD
    USDA APHIS Fee (XA) $3.96 USD
    US September 11th Security Fee (AY) $5.60 USD

For $43.86 USD per F ticket, as you stated previously, the fee didn't change between J and F, and remember, this is for 2 tickets, so $87.72 USD for 2

I looked at ITA Matrix and it quoted the same fees and the US International Arrival Tax (US), which the agent didn't mention nor was I charged.

6. Gaurav

Gaurav Well-Known Member

Probably since EY arrivals in the US are domestic.

7. JeffQM

JeffQM New Member

How long is it taking for the Status on First class tickets (AUH to JFK) to change from "on request" to ticketed?

8. John P

John P New Member

I did mine at about 9PM EST, it was changed to "Ticketed" by 6AM the next morning.
    It was 1) a reissue from J to F and 2) through the Australian call center.

The original ticketing through the EXP desk took 8 days.

9. Gaurav

Gaurav Well-Known Member

@JeffQM -- that process is highly variable for AA but it will go through (faster if travel is close)

10. portakal

portakal New Member

Hi everyone,

I booked JFK-AUH-SYD in A380 business class for September 2016 using AA miles (back in the summer). When I checked my itinerary the other day to pick seats, I saw that they moved me to the later flight which is 77W "Jetihad". I didn't ask for this and received no notification of it until I happened to check myself. I obviously don't want this change. Etihad still has open business seats on my original flight (not guest seats but still) so clearly they bumped me to open seats for "paying" customers. I called both AA and Etihad - neither can explain why this happened. Any ideas to sort this out?

W

11. MidSouth Skier

MidSouth Skier Well-Known Member

Did they move you back to your original flight? They should do so without charging any kind of fees, especially since it happened without notifying you or you initiating the change.

Tiffany likes this.
  12. portakal

portakal New Member

so far they have not - it's very frustrating. I'll keep calling them both and see what happens

13. Rakibul Islam

Rakibul Islam New Member

Help! I need assistance with an AA award booking.

I'm trying to book LHR-SYD on 2/29 in J, followed by BNE-LHR on 3/4 in F. Both segments are available on the Etihad site (at the correct Guest Business/First level). But when I called the US and the AUS AA centers, neither could see them available. How can I book these flights? I want to get them before it's too late! Thanks for your help!

14. Gaurav

Gaurav Well-Known Member

@Rakibul Islam Have you tried calling back? Sometimes it's just trying a different agent. I would try the Australia office again. FWIW I can see the seats too.

15. Dan31123

Dan31123 Reader

Hi,

Trying to book space on Etihads new Melbourne route in August 2016. Seeing Guest Seat availability on Etihad's site, but when I call AA, they say only couch is bookable. Tried calling a couple times, same result. Thoughts?

Thanks!

16. Biggie T

Biggie T New Member

Data Point as of today. I booked 2 for the Etihad AUH-JFK apartment in October. I saw the availability on Etihads site, but when I called AA they couldn't see it. I found this nice little thread and then called the Aus AA line with success. Thanks guys.

MidSouth Skier and Gaurav like this.
  17. Rakibul Islam

Rakibul Islam New Member

@Gaurav Persistance over resistance? I called back today, but it only sort of worked. They were able to find business availability in both directions, but only one segment in first (AUH-SYD), and on later dates than I initially hoped for (3/2-3/6 instead of 2/29-3/4). Curiously, they said the LHR-SYD flights that were on the A380s didn't meet minimum connection time (1h35m between arrival and departure) so they could not book them. Anyway, is it possible to change the dates/times without going back to the AA AUS line? I know there's no charge, but I can still see Guest Business/First availability on the dates I want. Thanks again for your help!

18. Gaurav

Gaurav Well-Known Member

I don't have any personal information but there have been at least a couple of data points here about the US call center having trouble modifying AUS reservations so I would recommend continuing to work with them.

I would double check if you can book the EY flights as revenue tickets or if you have a subscription to Expert Flyer or some such look up the transfer to see the minimum connection time figures are accurate so you have that information when you call again.

19. Tiffany

Tiffany One Mile At A Time

@Rakibul Islam -- There are some serious issues with modifying Etihad awards through AAdvantage right now. I'm knee-deep in a fascinating change adventure of my own at present, but will report back with details once I get it resolved.

In the meantime, know it's not just you, and you're not doing anything wrong.

Gaurav likes this.
  20. Rakibul Islam

Rakibul Islam New Member

@Gaurav Those flights were indeed bookable as revenue tickets. In fact, the BNE-AUH-LHR flight had a connection time of less than 2h, and they had no issue with that. So I was able to resolve it.

@Tiffany Persistence over resistance! I called AA AUS again, and after a LOT of confusion with the dates and times, I finally got what I basically was looking for: LHR-AUH-SYD on Feb 29, both legs on A380 J, and BNE-AUH-GVA on Mar 4, on B789 F and A333 F. I wanted to go AUH-LHR in A380 Apartment, but the agent didn't see any availability in any class, so I booked to GVA since I was planning to go there anyway. Strangely, I can still see availability on BNE-LHR in F on 3/4, but not on just the AUH-LHR leg (which is on 3/5). Maybe that causes them issues? Keep trying, you'll get through!

Gaurav likes this.