ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

Award Redemption CONSOLIDATED: Questions on booking Etihad First and Business with AA miles

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by Kathy, Nov 18, 2015.

1. hktramz

hktramz New Member

Hi Lucky,
    I was so excited to see 2 seats available on EY F (AUH-MEL), so I have called the AA Australia line to book 2 tickets, using 2 different aadvantage account, one after another.

I have had no problem to book for first account on F. I was super excited. However, when I booked the 2nd ticket for my friend using his account, the agent told me there is no availability at all on F, but there supposes to have one more seat available. Now he has been booked on business and have the tickets hold for 5 days. Is it system glitch?

I really would like to book First class apartment for him as well.

Did anyone encounter such problem before and how was it resolved?

Thanks,

2. BenjaminW

BenjaminW Reader

Hey Lucky!
    Today I had a call with American Airlines, as I wanted to place an Etihad award on hold. Unfortunately, no award space in either first and business class is available on the AUH-LHR and AUH-SYD routes. It looks like Etihad may have blocked partner awards again.
    I know you have posted about this a couple of times before, so my question is: how long does it generally take before Etihad will set award space open on AAdvantage awards again?

3. Mahesh Paolini-Subramanya

Tried to get CDG --> AUH on Etihad on a couple of different dates via AA Australia, and struck out each time. Points of note
    1. "GuestFirst" and "GuestBusiness" awards are visible on the Etihad.com
    2. AU Agent sees the availability
    3. AU Agent can't actually snag the seats for ticketing
    4. EXP Desk can't even see the availability
    5. Did the same for a whole bunch of different dates (each of which showed availability)
    6. Called back and tried three different AU Agents, all of whom struck out
    Sigh...

4. David W

David W Well-Known Member

That's really frustrating and really weird as well. I was ticketed on an EY Business award and was able to upgrade to an EY First award with ease 2 days ago so I'm not sure why there are these issues. I've done all my EY award bookings via AA Australia and have had no issues.

@Mahesh Paolini-Subramanya & @BenjaminW - I dont think partner awards are being blocked but may just be some kind of glitch. Keep checking for the space on Etihad's website and keep calling AA Australia. Or try another call center, like Singapore or the UK

@hktramz That's also a strange situation and also something I saw happen. I saw 2 EY GuestFirst award seats available so I called AA to upgrade from Business. I only needed one seat but after I was done, both GuestFirst seats were gone. If there's a seat in Business, I'd grab that first and then upgrade it later when you see available space.

5. Ben Owen

Ben Owen New Member

Guys the Australians are great. I was unable to find any tickets with the USA AA after checking here I can confirm I now have my flight booked F (a350 unfortunately the 380 was full in late Feb but still seems to have some days in April) from LHR to AUH to BOM (Biz) and Biz return with no problems. They were able to see all of the open seats that Etihad had per the GUEST First or Biz on their website. GREAT! I was also able to book 3 Biz tickets from AMS-AUH Return also. :) Lucky, a big thank you! Its a shame AA is raising the Euro to ME/India as I got the whole first leg for a nice 40K points. Funny thing was the system tried to claim that I had a stop over (1.5 Hour in AUH) and it priced out higher, then my new best AA Australian friend even got that corrected as well.

MidSouth Skier and Tiffany like this.
  6. Ben Owen

Ben Owen New Member

One small update the First from LHR to AUH is the 330-600, funny thing was my LHR route ticketed almost immediately the AMS to AUH took 2 days (I got really nervous when I saw my status go from On request to Canceled, but AA just canceled the old record and made a new one, not sure why).

7. mngg

mngg New Member

Folks just wanted to say thanks for the advice on this thread to call AA in Australia (actually based in Fiji). Was going out of mind with the glitching award booking system on aa.com (showed near full QF availability until you selected flights to then say unavailable) and then 1.5hrs with AA in the US on the phone to find no flights between June and December for LHR to MEL/SYD return in First on any airline. Had spent ages (due to a very flexible range of dates) finding an itinerary for the A380 on Etihad on dates (Sept-Oct) that worked for me and within 10min of calling the team in Fiji I was sorted.

They were also able to amend the booking the next day and add a SYD-MEL business Qantas leg on the way home. So after 9 years of mileage accrual finally using the chunk of unused miles for my trip to Oz to visit a friend of 10 years, at home, as we've always hung out in the US since it's kind of half way.

Tiffany, MidSouth Skier and Gaurav like this.
  8. FPMiles

FPMiles New Member

How many seats maximum do they release at one time?

Apartments

9. Ben Owen

Ben Owen New Member

For biz is seems like multiple (I was able to book 4 seats) but for first I have never seen more then 2 (on 77W) or 1 on A380 come up for booking. I haven't checked all dates but have looked all over Feb/March AUH to LHR and back timeframes. USA seems to have almost no O availability not sure why Lucky mentioned a few months ago there were tons in the summer, but for grins I checked JFK to AUH and couldn't find any for the almost the whole year.

10. FPMiles

FPMiles New Member

As everyday goes by, a day is added to their calender in terms of furthers day available to book. I was trying to see if the minute they open up that date, how many first class apartments are available.

Another question. If I book business, but a first class seat opens up, what's the route to get it upgraded (AA miles booking ethiad)

11. David W

@FPMiles I believe they only release one or two seats at a time and when those are taken, they may not release more, as there are only 9 Apartments available per flight serviced by the A380. More seats are usually released for Business Class and if youre booking with AAdvantage miles, it'd be a good idea to get the business class seat now and upgrade to First if a seat becomes available. Lucky has posted recently that EY does seem to release space last minute. Just call AAdvantage when you see a seat open up. As long as you have the miles, the upgrade shouldn't be a problem. Remember to try AAdvantage call centers in other countries if you see space but the US call center cant see it.

@Ben Owen Awards were probably wide open when Lucky posted about it and since then all the available award seats have probably been booked. EY is one of the more popular uses for AAdvantage awards and with the coming devaluation, its no surprise that people want to use the miles for EY premium cabins. Same goes for premium cabins on Cathay Pacific and Japan Airlines.

Tiffany likes this.
  12. Tiffany

Tiffany One Mile At A Time

Because a few months ago, there were tons in summer ;)

13. David W

I just upgraded my sisters flight EY SIN-AUH from J to F. Called AAdvantage Australia and it took a while and they told me they had to do it manually (whatever that means) but the entire process went pretty smoothly. I'd assume that AA's tech glitches where EY awards couldn't be upgraded easily is resolved........for now because this is AA/EY.

14. austinpop

austinpop New Member

I'm now seeing the issue on the EY site itself. I was searching for 2 business seats from JFK to AUH and initially saw availability on Jul 18 and 19 (Guest Seat column), As soon as I advanced to the next week and then back, those dates show no availability.

In other words, EY seems to be acting up too, not just AA.

15. David W

Did you try clearing browser history and starting the search new or trying the search in a different browser?

You could also try calling an AA call center and see if they can see the space

16. Gaurav

Gaurav Well-Known Member

Or someone might have booked them...

17. FPMiles

FPMiles New Member

Can someone remind me again... What will the new rate be from
    AUH to SYD on Ethiad First post devaluation

18. David W

19. FPMiles

FPMiles New Member

Thanks David.

Looks like, if I secure business seats now for late 2016... and later down the road after post devaluation... if I find first class available, I am complied to pay the new first class rate if I wanted to upgrade

20. David W

That's what I'd assume. I've made changes to an award where i upgraded from Business to First and each time I saw the entire sum of miles redeposited and then the new amount deducted.