ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

Award Redemption CONSOLIDATED: Questions on booking Etihad First and Business with AA miles

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by Kathy, Nov 18, 2015.

1. David W

David W Well-Known Member

Did you call AAdvantage USA or AAdvantage Australia or another call center? I think the US center is still having trouble seeing space

2. Tiffany

Tiffany One Mile At A Time

3. scottz95

scottz95 New Member

Fantastic. At least I'm not alone on this one. I don't really want to revive an old thread so a bit of an update, AU AA looked at the reference and wouldnt have a bar of it saying that they cant touch it until Technical Support has completed their investigation while they can definetly see the availability on their system as if it were a new booking.

US AA just cant see the availability regardless of how you book it but were actually nice enough to discuss it since the muppet on the AU line wouldnt even give me a chance to speak. Maybe I've been redflagged in the call centre as I know what I want and its too much like work for them. :p

Tiffany likes this.
  4. ask4sang

ask4sang Reader

Lucky

I been trying to get a seat from LHR-AUH using AA miles for FC Apartment. I see the availability on Etihad website as Guest First. I try calling AA Exec Pl line multiple times and non of them can see the availability? Can your booking service can help?

Sang

5. Ben

Ben Reader

What are your experiences with AUH JFK now that it's gone a380? Are you seeing much last minute availability? Looking for early-mid December for 1 seat!

Thanks!

6. Lee

Lee New Member

ive booked EY F from AUH-LHR using AA miles through Australia AA. However, the miles is not deducted from my AA yet and my credit card still havent been charged. After keying the AA Record Locator ; its Status: On Request.
    How long does it take on average for AA to ticket EY ?
    Can i consider the ticket will be confirmed/ticketed later on ? The reason i asked is because i want to buy a positional flight which is on promo now (promo ends tomorrow) Thanks.

7. David W

Tiffany likes this.
  8. Gaurav

Gaurav Well-Known Member

@Lee, I would go ahead and book your promo flight.

9. Lee

Lee New Member

10. scottz95

scottz95 New Member

So a bit of an update, AA eventually allowed me to drop a segment and book F on EY 11. But because of their system glitch, I rolled over and paid their $150US fee just to get the ticket. More of a convience and a half competent agent on the other end who knew you could at least drop a segment without dropping the whole reservation.

Process at the end was:
    1) Call AA AU and put F ticket on hold
    2) Call different AA AU aagent to get them to cancel the segment that I wanted upgraded (although protest very clearly that this is the same flight number and same date and is simply a class upgrade for call recording purposes so you can try and get Customer Complaints to side with you when you try get your fee back which if their system worked, you shouldnt have had to pay) and confirm the segment I wanted to keep.
    3) Wait for your points to drop back (20 to 30 minutes normally) into your account and call back to AA AU to process your held ticket.

Dont complain until after you get the ticket with the EY reference. Then they cant screw you over after you have that reference... In theory :p

Tiffany likes this.
  11. Phize

Phize Reader

Hi there,

I checked Etihad Guest for award availability from Melbourne to Abu Dhabi next April and it was showing 4 Guest Seat first class seats per day. I called the AAdvantage booking center and they could (yet again) only find coach space. Is there still an issue in booking premium Etihad space with AA miles? I have heard rumors that you can call international (ie. Australia) AA call centers and they are able to find Etihad space.

12. scottz95

scottz95 New Member

Correct you are Phize. I rang a US Aagent and they couldn't see any EY awards. Called the AU Aagents and they could see it instantly. Give them a ring instead.

Tiffany likes this.
  13. Mateusz

Mateusz New Member

Can I book two awards and have them on a single ticket? LHR-AUH-SIN
    How high are taxes and fees for Etihad?

14. phize

phize Member

Mateusz, If you are using AA miles, then you will not be able to fly on Etihad from London to Singapore on a single award due to the fact that that would be routing via a third region. You would be able to do it on two awards, but that would result in a higher amount of milage required. Though, you would be able to layover in the UAE. You could do LHR - DOH - SIN on one ticket because that is an AA (Oneworld partner) exception. Because you would be flying out of London, your taxes and fees would be high, especially if redeeming in a premium cabin.

Best,

15. phize

phize Member

Thank you so much.

16. David W

@Mateusz You can book both awards on one ticket. You will be charged for two awards though since AAdvantage doesn't generally allow transit through a third region, the exception being on QR metal thru DOH, like @phize mentioned.

I have the reverse booked, SIN-AUH-LHR and was only charged about $33AUD in taxes. However, if departing the UK, AA does pass on the associated UK departure taxes.

17. Mark B.

Mark B. Reader

Hi Lucky-
    Do you know if American is blocking Etihad First and Business class awards again? I've tried a number of options for next September / October where the Etihad website shows multiple guest seats available, however American is seeing no inventory. I've spoken with multiple American agents, so it doesn't seem to be a training issue. I've searched Dallas, LA, Washington and London routes, and it seems to be blocked across the board.

Thanks!

18. Cal

Cal Member

@Mark B. see above in the previous posts. It seems the US call center is having issues seeing visibility. the main workaround is to call the Australian call center.

Tiffany likes this.
  19. Tmatzkeit

Tmatzkeit New Member

Good morning guys,

Would any of you know whether AA imposes the same surcharges as Etihad does - $150 in F, $100 in J, 50$ in Y (per segment) - when booking an award ticket on EY?

20. scottz95

scottz95 New Member

@Tmatzkeit, nope, price for F AUH-LHR was only about $32AUD or about $70-90AUD for a long haul segment in J/F. Which you can just take 30% off the price to translate back to the USD price

Tmatzkeit likes this.