ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

Award Redemption CONSOLIDATED: Questions on booking Etihad First and Business with AA miles

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by Kathy, Nov 18, 2015.

1. John P

John P New Member

I have never made a call with Skype either, but it was very easy. The Australian agent was very helpful and there was no problem with availability- matched exactly what was on Etihad Guest. Just download the app to your phone, buy the smallest number of credits, and make your call. In Skype, select your country then copy and paste the number into the app and you're connected in no time. I've been losing sleep all week trying to book 2 First awards on 1 particular day, so I'm relieved it finally went through. If booking the award space is important to you, I'd go ahead and call.

2. Kathy

Kathy New Member

Thank you so much John! Just finished another 20 minute hold with American and they still can't see any availability. Will try the Skype with Australia tomorrow. Wiped out right now!

3. Kathy

Kathy New Member

Oh it is so frustrating to be able to see 2 Guest First seats on Etihad from DEL to LAX on 25 and 26 Sep but then not to be able to book them! Have talked to multiple AA agents (both in US and Australia) and they aren't seeing them. I'm glad you finally had good luck with your booking John and that gives me hope! I do have 2 RT Qatar business class tickets to DEL on hold but was hoping to change them to Etihad first. On the plus side, we now have Skype and love it. Any other words of wisdom out there?

4. Gaurav

Gaurav Well-Known Member

Book the QR tickets! You can always play with your itinerary and upgrade for free with AA as long as your origin and destination stays the same.

5. Kathy

Kathy New Member

Will definitely book before the 5 day hold is up.

Tiffany likes this.
  6. Sunil

Sunil New Member

@Kathy @Tiffany
    I called the UK call centre and the guy on the phone told me that there is a known issue with booking Etihad flights. They are able to see the flights in their system but they can't issue tickets for them. They said that they are in touch with Etihad and will hopefully get an answer by Monday, so they asked me to call back then.

7. Kathy

Kathy New Member

Thanks Tiffany! Different topic but same tickets: The award ticket for me and my husband is on QATAR right now and on hold until Monday. I noticed they had my name wrong so called AA. The first agent said I would have to cancel the ticket and start over. Yikes!! I called back and got an agent who said they should be able to fix it but it would take some work. They had to do a split P&R in order to contact QATAR to get my name corrected. So my husband and I now have separate confirmation numbers. They also extended my hold (but not my husbands) to 26 Nov because I guess this can take a while to get resolved. I didn't ask her if they do a split P&R if they can then combine them back into one ticket. Didn't think about it when I was on the phone with her but am now. If they can't, I can foresee all kinds of problems when I get back to trying to change the flights to Etihad First or even if we want to change the dates at some point. Do you know if they would be able to combine them both onto one ticket after splitting them? I have a sinking feeling about this.

8. Gaurav

Gaurav Well-Known Member

I don't know about recombining into a single PNR but it shouldn't be a problem with upgrades or changes. The rules are the same and as long as space is available your should be able to upgrade or change routing. It take a little longer because you have to do two tickets but shouldn't affect anything else.

Tiffany likes this.
  9. Kathy

Kathy New Member

Thanks Gauraz. Now I know it's PNR, not P&R. My concern is that after changing one ticket (date or airline), when I try to change the second ticket, there are no longer award seats on that flight. It's risky. Also, if we have to cancel the trip, we then incur the $150 fee per ticket vs $150 plus $25 for the second person on the same ticket.

10. Tiffany

Tiffany One Mile At A Time

@Kathy -- If it comes to canceling your trip, the agents should be able to see the original record and may waive the fees. There's no issue with having two records otherwise, and a good agent can set up one itinerary, grab seats for the second, and then confirm them both at the same time.

All that being said, how "wrong" is your name? Qatar is not the most responsive of airlines, though a name change isn't impossible.

11. Kathy

Kathy New Member

Hi Tiffany. They have my first name as Kathy, no middle name - it's Kathleen with middle name Rae on the passport. Very interesting about what a "good" agent could do. Was not aware of that and would definitely try to explain that if I don't get a "good" agent! Do you think they can combine 2 PNRs back to 1?

12. Tiffany

Tiffany One Mile At A Time

Nope, once they're split they're split forever. You might want to check your AA account and make sure your name is correct there, that can lead to many of the name problems on awards.

13. Kathy

Kathy New Member

Thanks for your help Tiffany. I'll definitely check my account.

14. John P

John P New Member

Follow up on my experience:
    From my two Etihad reservations on hold, I called AA EXP Desk and had them processed 11/20. One was ticketed morning of 11/22 and I was able to make seat selections on Etihad website. Second reservation still hadn't ticketed as of 11/23, called EXP line back and it showed as "invalid form of payment." I found this strange since they took payment for both a the same time and have already debited mileage from my AA account. So as of now, just 50% success with getting these ticketed.

15. David W

David W Well-Known Member

I called AAdvantage Australia and processed an EY F award on 11/20. I've had the miles deducted but still shows "On Request" as of this morning" I processed another on 11/21 and that still has not had miles deducted but shows "On Request." My credit card has not yet been charged for the taxes and fees however. Planning on calling AA AUS soon just to check

@Tiffany is there generally an average time frame for how long it takes to ticket an EY award? Thanks!

16. MidSouth Skier

MidSouth Skier Well-Known Member

@David W - I don't know about EY specifically but it took months to ticket a Fiji Air award. I booked almost a year in advance and kept checking online and with AA every few weeks but eventually it was processed. I have a suspicion, but no proof, that this was more due to Fiji Air than to AA.

17. Cal

Cal Member

@DavidW - I have 2 tickets on Etihad booked for next year. One of them has been pending for 8 weeks now. I just called AA for a follow up. Although it has not been ticketed they said it is not an issue and is in just sitting in queue (backlog).

Last edited: Nov 23, 2015
  18. Gaurav

Gaurav Well-Known Member

I canceled AA tickets two weeks ago and the miles have still not shown up in my account. Called them and "every thing looks right, they'll just get to it at some point...". It's a little crazy how things work at the AA back end.

19. David W

David W Well-Known Member

@MidSouth Skier @Cal That's real strange. I checked again and the AUH-LHR I booked for my sister is already ticket. My own HKG-AUH-LHR, which i booked before hers is still pending. I also decided to ticket BA F JFK-LHR and that went from on request to ticketed in about 10 minutes.

Does AA just have a different queue for OW and non-OW awards? I also ticketed a couple of flights on CX and that was fairly quick as well

20. scottz95

scottz95 New Member

Hey all, slightly different issue floating on the same lines. I managed to book EY Flights on AA miles in Business but the day later, a F seat appears as open. So as expected, who doesn't want to take that opportunity to fly F over J. Called up AA to upgrade with the points hot in my pocket. I had them search the availability as if it were a new booking which they saw immediately, "Perfect", I said, "Can you then upgrade my current booking on that segment to the F seat from J?". "Nope, theres an error when we try to upgrade flights at the moment. I thought IT had resolved this but they haven't, let me talk to them and you can call me back in 24hours".

TL;DR Even if AA can find the availability, they cant upgrade your existing reservations. Does anyone have any ideas on how best to deal with this? They wouldn't even put the F seat on hold so I could wait out the 24hours while they talk to tech support.