ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

Award Redemption CONSOLIDATED: Questions on booking Etihad First and Business with AA miles

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by Kathy, Nov 18, 2015.

1. David W

David W Well-Known Member

Are you sure youre not looking at a cash ticket instead of an award?

2. JRV1

JRV1 New Member

Yeah, I'm positive. If I could find a RT JFK - MLE in the apartments for 2k for 2 people for a cash ticket I'd book it right now! That's why I'm a bit confused especially with the $1165 when adding in the MLE segments using Guest First miles.

3. Tiffany

Tiffany One Mile At A Time

@JRV1 -- Etihad charges high fees and surcharges that vary based on origin and destination. They are not at all related to what AA charges (other than both paying the same airport taxes).

Gaurav likes this.
  4. Rakibul Islam

Rakibul Islam New Member

Hey all,

Just booked a couple AAdvantage tickets for Etihad First/Apartment SIN-AUH and AUH-JFK (staying in AUH for a couple days). Anyone know if you're able to choose your seats in advance? AA desk says they can't, and Etihad says to contact the third party I booked with. I'm traveling with my wife, so I'd like for us to sit next to each other. Thanks!

5. David W

@Rakibul Islam You should be able to get seats in advance - I've always been able to do so in the same situation. Get the EY confirmation code from AA and then call EY and give them their code and they should be able to select seats for you.

Tiffany likes this.
  6. txtp

txtp New Member

In continuation from the question I posted, I understand that the fees listed on the Guest Miles site is higher than what American actually charges.

What is the typical difference between the two fees?

Is it possible to force pick connecting flights with a <24 hour layover different from what the Etihad site lists? Basically, I am searching for a one-way itinerary from the Middle East to ICN. Guest Miles shows availability for Friday and Sunday. The Friday flight listed would require me to take more leave. There is no availability for the first regional let on Saturday. Is it possible on AA to book the first regional leg on Friday night arriving right before midnight, attempt to explore Abu Dhabi and survive the heat in a 22 hour layover, and then the Saturday longhaul flight departing at 22:15?

7. David W

AA allows for connections of up to 23 hours and 59 minutes. Search each leg of your trip separately and then call AA to book by giving them the dates and flight numbers..

Tiffany likes this.
  8. ctdohert2

ctdohert2 New Member

Called AA to book an award seat in business that showed availability on EY website as a guest seat JFK-AUH-CAI. The agent saw the space and confirmed the JFK to AUH however when he went to add the AUH -CAI leg the EY system wouldn't release it. I held the first leg and confirmed via the EY website and Expertflyer that 3 guest seats are available. Called back three times....twice agents saw no space, once she saw it but couldn't add it and when she tried again the space disappeared from her view. I asked her to try other flights earlier or later that same day and she was able to add it on a different flight that showed no availability on EY or EF. Really??? Possibly a glitch? I am looking for advice on what to do.... what to tell the AA agents to do. I would really appreciate any insight ... Thanks

9. Gaurav

Gaurav Well-Known Member

Which call center were you calling? Did you try Australia?

10. ctdohert2

ctdohert2 New Member

I made the original reservation by calling NZ.... I called them back 24 hours later they saw no space. It was a U.S. agent that saw the space that she couldn't book

11. Gaurav

Gaurav Well-Known Member

Try calling Australia.

12. ctdohert2

ctdohert2 New Member

I called Australia and she also saw the space but could not book it. I asked her to start a new reservation any try from there however she does not see JFK -AUH space even though there is plenty. Called NZ back and she saw space on both legs but once again could not add the AUH-CAI to the reservation. I wound up creating a second res with the AUH-CAI flight in coach. I guess I will work on upgrading it and see how that goes....Very Frustrating

13. Gilbert

Gilbert New Member

Hello, hope everybody is doing well.

I've been trying to book two flights with Etihad using AA miles, despite showing good availability in the two flights at EY site as guest award (search separated as the first leg is in F and the second on intra gulf C), I've tried the US, UK, NZ and AU cc's at least 2 times each and none of them could find the space. All the time they say the intra gulf leg is available but not the LHR-AUH, only in coach. There is any other trick that would work besides keep calling? And to be sure, when they can see it, first ask for the two flights in C, then put reservation on hold and call again to ask the first flight to change to F?

Thanks in advance.

William Church likes this.
  14. William Church

William Church New Member

I second Gilbert! This is urgent & worthy of a blog post. Totally bizarre... 2 seats open for EY F AUH-LHR. Plenty of guest seats in F and even more C space on various other dates too but no one at AA can see any of it. Called Australia / NZ / US and all they can find is Y space. Similarly to Gilbert, they found the short haul BOM-AUH F/C seats. I did manage to find a seat CDG-AUH but it's in the wrong direction, different date, and will require me to shift all my plans around. The point here being there is a serious mismatch between EY & AA at the moment and not even the foreign call centers can help. Not just the A380 flights are being blocked but rather it seems almost all medium/long haul seats are unavailable from AA's side. Glitch or intentional? That is the real question...

15. Tiffany

Tiffany One Mile At A Time

@ Gilbert @William Church -- Thanks guys, we noticed the same thing, and are looking into it!

Jonathan G and William Church like this.
  16. Andrew Yang

Andrew Yang New Member

Thank you!!

I am also having the same issue. So frustrating. EY shows wide open availability for AUH-JFK in F and J in the weeks in 2018 that I'm searching--so many seats!—and AA cannot see any of the availability--I tried calling AU, NZ, US, France, HK and China. It is definitely not showing up anywhere.

AA sees shorter legs, like MLE-AUH, but only sees economy in AUH-JFK.

Looks like the AA-EY data connection is happening again, or EY is not releasing their premium cabin awards to AA.

William Church likes this.
  17. William Church

William Church New Member

It would be great if someone could pressure AA or EY into a response on this. If it's technical, we can hope it will be figured out in the coming days / weeks however if this is intentional blocking of premium award space on their A380 & other routes, that's a far more severe situation which warrants investigation. Interestingly the AA agent (Australia call centre) could find the F seats from AUH to LHR as part of a Jet Airways codeshare... however, was unable to actually book them. I noticed some of the latest posts in the EY redemption thread are also regarding this issue.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...-travel-etihad-ey-2016-master-thread-202.html

Andrew Yang likes this.
  18. Andrew Yang

Andrew Yang New Member

@Lucky @Tiffany Please help! If anyone could pressure AA or EY into looking into this, it would be you guys!

Jonathan G likes this.
  19. Jonathan G

Jonathan G New Member

After checking availability on etihad guest, I called Australia to book COK-AUH-JFK in business class. Etihad guest showed business class availability. But the agent could not see availability on the dates that I saw. Instead he was able to find a different day where the AUH-JFK was operated by a 77W. The COK-AUH leg had to be booked in coach because he couldn't see any J availability. Bottom line: There seems to be little to no correlation between what Etihad guest shows and what is actually showing up for the Australia AA agents. I was able to place the COK-AUH-JFK itinerary on hold.

20. JacobW

JacobW New Member

I'm also having similar problems as stated above. Primarily looking at DFW-AUH and AUH-SYD. For all the dates I've looked at there is plenty of guest seats available in business, but when I've called AA Australia several times over the past week and they can't seem to see any availability.