ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

Award Redemption CONSOLIDATED: Questions on booking Etihad First and Business with AA miles

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by Kathy, Nov 18, 2015.

1. David W

David W Well-Known Member

Are you sure youre not looking at a cash ticket instead of an award?

2. JRV1

JRV1 New Member

Yeah, I'm positive. If I could find a RT JFK - MLE in the apartments for 2k for 2 people for a cash ticket I'd book it right now! That's why I'm a bit confused especially with the $1165 when adding in the MLE segments using Guest First miles.

3. Tiffany

Tiffany One Mile At A Time

@JRV1 -- Etihad charges high fees and surcharges that vary based on origin and destination. They are not at all related to what AA charges (other than both paying the same airport taxes).

Gaurav likes this.
  4. Rakibul Islam

Rakibul Islam New Member

Hey all,

Just booked a couple AAdvantage tickets for Etihad First/Apartment SIN-AUH and AUH-JFK (staying in AUH for a couple days). Anyone know if you're able to choose your seats in advance? AA desk says they can't, and Etihad says to contact the third party I booked with. I'm traveling with my wife, so I'd like for us to sit next to each other. Thanks!

5. David W

@Rakibul Islam You should be able to get seats in advance - I've always been able to do so in the same situation. Get the EY confirmation code from AA and then call EY and give them their code and they should be able to select seats for you.

Tiffany likes this.
  6. txtp

txtp New Member

In continuation from the question I posted, I understand that the fees listed on the Guest Miles site is higher than what American actually charges.

What is the typical difference between the two fees?

Is it possible to force pick connecting flights with a <24 hour layover different from what the Etihad site lists? Basically, I am searching for a one-way itinerary from the Middle East to ICN. Guest Miles shows availability for Friday and Sunday. The Friday flight listed would require me to take more leave. There is no availability for the first regional let on Saturday. Is it possible on AA to book the first regional leg on Friday night arriving right before midnight, attempt to explore Abu Dhabi and survive the heat in a 22 hour layover, and then the Saturday longhaul flight departing at 22:15?

7. David W

AA allows for connections of up to 23 hours and 59 minutes. Search each leg of your trip separately and then call AA to book by giving them the dates and flight numbers..

Tiffany likes this.
  8. ctdohert2

ctdohert2 New Member

Called AA to book an award seat in business that showed availability on EY website as a guest seat JFK-AUH-CAI. The agent saw the space and confirmed the JFK to AUH however when he went to add the AUH -CAI leg the EY system wouldn't release it. I held the first leg and confirmed via the EY website and Expertflyer that 3 guest seats are available. Called back three times....twice agents saw no space, once she saw it but couldn't add it and when she tried again the space disappeared from her view. I asked her to try other flights earlier or later that same day and she was able to add it on a different flight that showed no availability on EY or EF. Really??? Possibly a glitch? I am looking for advice on what to do.... what to tell the AA agents to do. I would really appreciate any insight ... Thanks

9. Gaurav

Gaurav Well-Known Member

Which call center were you calling? Did you try Australia?

10. ctdohert2

ctdohert2 New Member

I made the original reservation by calling NZ.... I called them back 24 hours later they saw no space. It was a U.S. agent that saw the space that she couldn't book

11. Gaurav

Gaurav Well-Known Member

Try calling Australia.

12. ctdohert2

ctdohert2 New Member

I called Australia and she also saw the space but could not book it. I asked her to start a new reservation any try from there however she does not see JFK -AUH space even though there is plenty. Called NZ back and she saw space on both legs but once again could not add the AUH-CAI to the reservation. I wound up creating a second res with the AUH-CAI flight in coach. I guess I will work on upgrading it and see how that goes....Very Frustrating