ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

Award Redemption CONSOLIDATED: Questions on booking Etihad First and Business with AA miles

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by Kathy, Nov 18, 2015.

1. David W

David W Well-Known Member

Try and get the agent to see availability separately. If they can see it separately, have them grab the JFK-AUH leg then try to add the AUH-BLR. If there are issues, they should be able to escalate it since they're able to see availability separately.

2. Tiffany

Tiffany One Mile At A Time

There are crazy married segment issues with Etihad, and if you read through the thread you'll see other people having issues with changing itineraries. I don't have a consistent workaround to share yet :(

3. AHB

AHB New Member

I am still having the same issue of not being able to re-schedule my trip JFK-AUH-BLR due to missing availability from AUH-BLR as a connection. There is availability as a new ticket/award. If anyone has found a solution to solve the AUH-India connection issue please let me know

the JFK-AUH leg can only bee seen by AA Australia, not US

4. savon

savon New Member

OK, I'm ready to book a pair of business class seats - Etihad shows 2 guest business available, but AA United States call center says they aren't available, only economy. I need to transfer SPG points to AA to do this, so I don't wanna transfer them if this won't happen. How can I be sure the flight is really available? Do I really need to call AA in another country?

5. savon

savon New Member

I called the Australia number and sure enough, the seats are available.

Tiffany likes this.
  6. David W

Yep, thats the way to book the seats!

7. txl1k

txl1k New Member

Hi everyone, I have a dilemma I've been trying to solve.

I was fortunate to snag a couple of first class tix from London to Dubai on Qantas First, and then Abu Dhabi to Sydney on Etihad First. AA put everything on the same ticket and my layover in Dubai is 10 hours.

I called Etihad to book Chauffeur service, but they said I wasn't eligible because they don't offer this service for travelers who are transferring, and since I simply had a 10 hour layover instead of a stopover, they aren't able to offer me this service. I also asked if I could use the free Coach they have between DXB<>AUH, and they said no because it's only for economy passengers. So, basically, my only option is to take a cab, which runs about $100.

Would love to get any thoughts on more affordable ways to transit. Thanks!

8. David W

@txl1k is that booked as a single ticket, but priced as 2 awards (Europe to ME, ME to South Pacific), or one award Europe to South Pacific? I dont recall AA allowing connections in the Middle East, unless both flights are on Qantas or Qatar.

If you booked as 2 awards, maybe ask if AA can split the ticket into two itineraries without repricing the award? In that case, the Etihad ticket would be separate, making you eligible for chauffeur service.

Otherwise, the only cheapest option I can think of is the local bus that runs between the two cities, specificall E100 and E101 http://dubai-buses.com/InterCity.aspx

Tiffany likes this.
  9. txl1k

txl1k New Member

@David W unfortunately, this was booked as 2 separate awards on the same ticket. I've contacted AA and they said there's nothing they can do now...Do you think I should call again? It is now within the 21 day window, not sure if that matters...

10. David W

Cant hurt to try again. I'm also seeing that Etihad has a paid option for their coach service, if traveling on another airline. I'd also try calling them again and requesting the paid coach, instead of the complimentary one for coach passengers.

If neither option works out and you have to choose between paying for a cab or a bus, I'd go with a cab, especially if there multiple or large pieces of baggage is involved. More expensive but it'd be from airport to airport instead of having to get to and from bus terminals.

11. Gaurav

Gaurav Well-Known Member

Also, that price seems to be on the higher side. You might be able to get something cheaper in the $70-$80 range.

12. SCA

SCA New Member

Anyone else seems to be having trouble booking Etihad Business Class flights? I see online on Etihad website "Guest Business" is available on multiple days. However, when I call AA whether US # or AUS #, they just don't see it. Do note, I got them to look segment by segment and still same issue. Any help or workaround will be helpful. Thank you.

13. Gaurav

Gaurav Well-Known Member

I needed to modify an EY booking, US still couldn't see the listing but Australia could. Not sure why you didn't have any luck @SCA, hopefully you were able to find something!

Tiffany likes this.
  14. Geoff

Geoff New Member

Hi,

Is it correct to say that Etihad seems to have closed all A380 GuestFirst availability?
    Sometimes you get availability within 2-3 days of departure.

Geoff

15. Gaurav

Gaurav Well-Known Member

16. T.A.

T.A. New Member

If I want to book JFK-AUH-DEL (in F) but want to make a stopover in AUH - I cannot do it using AA miles, right? Because AA does not allow stopovers? So my best bet is to book the itinerary as 2 separate awards. I wonder how much more (in miles) it would cost than booking the itinerary without this stopover?

17. Gaurav

Gaurav Well-Known Member

T.A. and Tiffany like this.
  18. T.A.

T.A. New Member

thank you!
    that's one expensive stopover! :)
    looks like if I make it as a single itinerary (no stopovers) it will cost me just 115,000 (as opposed to 155,000 with a stopover).

19. Gaurav

Gaurav Well-Known Member

AUH DEL is not a long flight. I might look at a Y award or even a paid ticket. Not sure that number of miles would be worth it too.

David W likes this.
  20. David W

I agree with @Gaurav. Unless prices were ridiculously high, I wouldn't book an award for flights under about 4-6 hours, as most of these flights are operated with single aisle planes with regional products.