ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

Award Redemption Cheapest way from HKG to NYC in biz class

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by HKFlyer, Sep 4, 2017.

1. HKFlyer

HKFlyer Member

Hey Guys,
    Wondering the cheapest way to travel from southeast Asia to NYC, in business class, using either miles or cash.

All answers appreciated!

2. rickyw

rickyw Well-Known Member

If you can get to Colombo, you'll find some of the cheapest paid business class fares originating out of that market.

No Name likes this.
  3. HKFlyer

HKFlyer Member

Thanks rickyw for your answer. Colombo indeed has great fares but its too long of a journey for me.

4. BernabeuBuster

BernabeuBuster New Member

Delta has some extremely cheap fares from HK to JFK and LAX. They range from around 1.9k USD to 2.6k. Another option is to position to PVG and fly CX PVG-HKG-JFK RT for around 3.4k USD.

http://imgur.com/a/g5lk6

http://imgur.com/a/y8xDO

5. HKFlyer

HKFlyer Member

Thanks, BernabeuBuster for your answer. Delta fares are pretty great right now. might consider booking them but it's quite a long flight.

6. BernabeuBuster

7. BernabeuBuster

One last find: PEK - DTW - IAD (Washington - East Coast City with several connecting options) RT on Delta looks like its around USD 2.2k. I would pounce on this offer if I was you. HKG-PEK on Xiamen would set you back around $280, and IAD-JFK on Delta would also set you back around $150. The total fare would be around the same, but it looks like a good deal, especially considering that you would have lounge access in HKG, XMN, PEK, DTW, and IAD. http://imgur.com/a/Xna9v

No Name and HKFlyer like this.
  8. Richard on Dauntless

I'm seeing $2390 to $2750 to west coast, then about $800 to trans-con. All RT

9. HKFlyer

HKFlyer Member

Sorry but that isn't cheap

10. No Name

No Name Well-Known Member

There is always buying Alaska miles and using those to fly on partner airlines to the US? Price would depend if you get the miles on sale or not.

11. rickyw

rickyw Well-Known Member

Never tried myself, but is it still true that Alaskan redemptions need to originate in the US? If not, that's definitely a solid option

12. No Name

No Name Well-Known Member

@rickyw

Most long haul Alaska awards have be either to or from the US. So SIN/SGN/BKK-HKG-US one-way will work just as fine as an award starting in the US.

Also on some carriers there is a possibility of awards not touching the US.

Australia to HKG and vice versa is possible on Cathay, but you can't add a connecting flight in Asia unlike US awards. Same goes for HKG-Europe flights. Both awards are quite fair value in miles, and there is generally much easier to find F award space in advance (at least on the EU routes) from what I have heard.

On Cathay or JAL Intra Asian connecting in their hubs is possible, but no stopovers allowed I believe.

You can also do Intra EU flights on KLM/AF, but the value is not good.

Flying BA, KLM/AF or Emirates EU-Canada or Mexico are the same price as flights to the US, might be an option if space is lacking to the US. I think you could add a connecting flight on Alaska on a Canada/Mexico award if going to the US.

You can use Qantas on flights inside Australia, might be good value for some of the longer flights coast to coast.

Flights inside South America is possible on LAN? Shouldn't that be Latam these days?

I'm sure I have missed some possibilities, found the old Alaska award charts easier to deal with personally.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
    rickyw likes this.
  13. rickyw

rickyw Well-Known Member

@No Name I stand corrected! I was mixing up the fact that they have to touch the US vs having to originate in the US.

Gotta love Mondays :)