ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

Chase Sapphire for UK residents?

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by ozzy16, Nov 14, 2017.

1. ozzy16

ozzy16 New Member

Dear Lucky,

How are you? I went to apply for the Chase Sapphire Preferred card and found out I have to have a U.S. address to apply. I do have a Social Security number, but I no longer live there.

Are there any credit cards in the UK that offer similar rewards as the Chase S.P. card? Are there any that you would recommend?

Thank you for your time. Safe travels.

Martin

2. MidSouth Skier

MidSouth Skier Well-Known Member

Welcome @ozzy16 - if you don't have a friend or relative who will let you use their address you may be out of luck.

Tiffany wrote this post awhile back about selecting a credit card when you live outside the US and maybe it'll help. But, in general, credit cards outside the US are not nearly as generous as those within it.

3. ozzy16

ozzy16 New Member

Thank you Tiffany.

4. David W

David W Well-Known Member

US credit cards have better rewards than foreign counterparts is that merchants in the US are charged higher fees than in foreign countries, therefore allowing the banks to offer more attractive rewards.

Debit card fees are at a lower, fixed rate, therefore leaving banks with zero incentive to offer rewards for debit purchases.

5. ozzy16

ozzy16 New Member

Thank you David. I think you are absolutely right. I remember Bank of America changing my free checking account to a paid one without notice, saying: Well you are not a student anymore...