ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

CDG to PRG With AmEx Award Points

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by Roman, Nov 13, 2017.

1. Roman

Roman Reader

I'm looking for a way to fly two people from CDG to PRG on the evening of December 26 and arrive back in Paris on December 31. I have 56k AmEx MR points. There's Czech Airlines/Air France flights that are direct, but the price is $360-380 a person before baggage fees, which seems ridiculous for a 2 hour flight in Europe. Is there a way to utilize the MR points to get from one place to the other efficiently?

2. Gaurav

Gaurav Well-Known Member

Probably not unfortunately. That's a very busy travel time of the year. Have you checked out train or LCC options?

3. MidSouth Skier

MidSouth Skier Well-Known Member

The train looks like a no-go. Over $200 each way for economy, over 13 hours (1 layover) PAR-PRG and 15 hours with 2 layovers on the way back.

Rob in Miami and No Name like this.
  4. Gaurav

Gaurav Well-Known Member

Ouch... maybe drive? I looked up flyingblue earlier and I'm not sure that many MR will cover even one ticket in Y.

5. Tiffany

Tiffany One Mile At A Time

Given the time of year, I think you're either going to need to pay that amount, or make a connection. I don't think <$400 for a round-trip flight is ridiculous for those dates, honestly.

Rob in Miami, No Name and Gia like this.
  6. No Name

No Name Well-Known Member

7. Gaurav

Gaurav Well-Known Member

That's a great idea, but unfortunately zero saver space on OK in Y or J for those dates.

8. No Name

@Gaurav

Flyingblue saver awards are 12500 oneway on this route, Flex on AF is 45000 oneway.

And their is no true LCC options on this route. Only Transavia.

Finally the drive is 10 hours, that will probably go up if you get proper winter weather.

9. Gaurav

Gaurav Well-Known Member

Agreed, but this is the cheapest direct option for those dates at 67,500 pp:

upload_2017-11-15_13-54-35.png

Tiffany likes this.
  10. No Name

@Gaurav

How does award space look like on OK FRA-PRG-FRA? Paid ticket on those dates are 156 Euro.

Train from Paris to Frankfurt 130-150 Euro and takes just under 4 hours. Optionally it's around a 5h30m drive.

But the best option might just be to bite the bullet and buy a connecting fare in FRA or ZRH

11. Gaurav

Gaurav Well-Known Member

Nothing unfortunately...

upload_2017-11-15_15-12-6.png

rickyw, Tiffany and No Name like this.
  12. rickyw

rickyw Well-Known Member

Teamwork!

Roman, you are probably stuck paying the cash fare. As a side note, if you're concerned with baggage fees, you could look at buying business class. You should then get baggage, lounge access, etc.

Looks like it's only about $100 more.

Rob in Miami likes this.