ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

Award Redemption Cathay Pacific

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by HKFlyer, Nov 4, 2017.

1. HKFlyer

HKFlyer Member

Hi
    I am traveling on CX for 10+ years and always recording my miles on Asia Miles.
    Is there any better program for this, noting I am always originating from HKG.
    I travel on Business mostly, even on short-haul.
    Thanks

2. MidSouth Skier

MidSouth Skier Well-Known Member

If you're trying to gain status then you're likely best with AM. If you're looking for the best way to redeem them then the answer will depend on how you like to spend those miles.

Do you mostly redeem for shorthaul, non-stop segments or would you like the flexibility of going from city to city while stopping over each place for a few days? Then BA might be a good choice as they price each leg of a flight separately. But if you fly longhaul, they may impose fuel surcharges that add hundreds of dollars to your "free" award ticket.

American can be a good choice though they do have some rules about not transiting a third region, though there are a few exceptions.

Perhaps you can tell us how you usually spend your miles and we can help find the best fit.

HKFlyer likes this.
  3. HKFlyer

HKFlyer Member

I mostly fly direct but I have been buying miles recently, so using it for all sorts of travel, e.g HKG-PEK or HKG-JFK or HKG-DEL.

4. MidSouth Skier

MidSouth Skier Well-Known Member

It may be that you want to diversify then. Credit to BA to build up a stash of miles for shorthaul and/or non-stop travel and AA or Asia Miles for longhaul.

HKFlyer likes this.
  5. HKFlyer

HKFlyer Member

Thanks a lot!

6. milgom

milgom Member

BA and Asia miles are complementary.

BA is great for short haul (especially intra asia where taxes and fees are low) but becomes expensive quickly for long distances or trips with connections

Asia Miles is really great for complicated Round The World Tickets but those are 100k+ miles.

So it depends what you value and how many miles you can get. I personally credit to BA (much easier to get status) but have a credit card that gives me Asia Miles

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
    No Name likes this.
  7. HKFlyer

HKFlyer Member

Hi Milgom
    Thanks for your answer
    Which card do you use for asia miles?

8. milgom

milgom Member

Well I'm based in Malaysia so it's an ambank credit card. Haven't looked at cards in Hong Kong.