ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

Carry-on Weight Allowance Trick

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by Kerean, Jan 3, 2018.

1. Kerean

Kerean New Member

Hi Lucky,

I read on http://onemileatatime.boardingarea....rgin-atlantic-clubhouse-new-york-jfk-airport/ where you described this:

Check-in got a bit tricky when the agent asked me to place my bag on the scale. European airlines are often strict about the carry-on weight allowance, though lucky for me I’ve mastered the art of “minimizing” carry-on weight using my patented two step process:

Step 1: Place your bag only partly on the scale
    Step 2: Place your foot under the bag so it’s supporting some of the weight

It works like a charm every time, and if done properly, cuts the weight of the bag in half.

I'm familiar with Step 1, where you try to place the bag partially on the metal rails along the sides of where the conveyor belt/scale is to take some of the weight, but I can't quite understand how you get your foot under the bag when the conveyor belt scale is higher than ground level by quite a height. You end up looking real obvious since both feet are not on the ground.

Or is your "scale" different from my idea of a scale? The airports I've been in all have the bags weight on the conveyor belt leading to the luggage handler and are situated next to the check in counter.

2. Gia

Gia Active Member

All I can think of is Lucky’s smaller carryon bag looks like this:
    http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/?attachment_id=83845
    And perhaps he can position one of the ends to hang over the side of the scale and then prop it up with his foot. Wouldn’t work for my stuff, but his bag is unique.

No Name likes this.
  3. A Consumer

A Consumer New Member

After reading this, Lucky has gone down in my esteem. Deliberately causing the weight of his bag to be under-measured in the UK would constitute fraud, for which he could be criminally prosecuted and, if found guilty, fined or even imprisoned. Why Lucky would risk his good name, wealth and liberty in this way is beyond reason.

4. rickyw

rickyw Well-Known Member

Well, unless I'm mistaken, an airline's baggage weight allowance is just airline policy, not the law of the land. So, I doubt criminal charges will come from that 4 year old blog post.

But, we're all entitled to our own interpretation :)

Gia and No Name like this.