ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

Credit Cards Card portfolio for American living in Europe

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by Dav, Mar 21, 2018.

1. Dav

Dav Reader

Hi Lucky
    As an American living abroad, what cards should my wife and I be getting besides CSR? We currently both have CSR, Amex (regular) SPG, and IHG, putting us at 1/24 since the Amex is old. What should the next cards be, and should we apply for them all at once or stagger, assuming we can meet spend? We obviously can't do the Chase trifecta because of foreign transaction fees, and we're unsure of Amex Plat because we can't use the Uber credit abroad. Debating Citi Prestige, but there's currently no sign up bonus. Any advice?
    Thanks!

2. rickyw

rickyw Well-Known Member

What are your travel goals?

3. Dav

Dav New Member

europe to usa on business as often as possible, or possibly the occasional europe to asia F ticket. i do stay in hotels but only about 20-30 days a year. the non-bonused spending category is leaving me a bit perplexed as to what i should sign up for (right now it all goes on spg)

4. rickyw

rickyw Well-Known Member

I would think the AMEX Platinum would be a solid bet to give you access to Membership Rewards since it sounds like you don't have that right now. The card is still pretty valuable even if you can't use the full Uber benefit. For me, the savings I get from their AMEX offers each year essentially balance out the annual fee, so literally anything I spend on the card is a bonus in my mind.

When you pay for flights, you'd get 5X points which can add up quick. Especially if you ever take advantage of some of the really good Europe to USA business class deals.

Depending how much you spend monthly, you might also want to consider the British Airways Visa card. You may be able to get some value out of their companion ticket benefit. To use it, you have to start in the US - but you could still benefit from it if you are able to plan multiple trips at once (if that makes sense).

5. Dav

Dav New Member

I do buy a lot of those cheap business tickets (especially FRA-DFW), but I use CSR because I have little kids and I'm always worried I'll have to cancel or move tickets. So I can't count on ever using the 5x MR bonus. Amex offers intrigues me, will read up on it. Thanks! Definitely getting the hyatt card, seems like there's no downside