ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

Best use of miles

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by Lynda Hynan, Oct 29, 2017.

1. Lynda Hynan

Lynda Hynan Reader

Taking family of 4 adults (2 are seniors) in January from LAX to Bergen Norway to catch Hurtingerten cruise. Have enough AA mileage for tickets in first or business; but connections are complicated. Chose AA and not partner because hard product appeared to be best for a direct flight to London. Can get to Heathrow non stop but then have to go to Gatwick to get direct flight to Bergen on Norwegian.
    Will need to spend pm someplace both arriving and departing London. It will be too cold to make a nice stopover visit for a few days.
    Anyone have suggestions as to 1)best deal on mileage tickets and most direct flights on AA or partner with comfortable lie flat seats? I have read very unfavorable reviews of KLM,Norwegian & BA seats.

2. Gaurav

Gaurav Well-Known Member

Lynda

If you are booking with AA miles your most likely options are going to be on BA metal which comes with a mediocre product and high surcharges. I'd try to see if you can finds space on AA, Finnair, or Iberia before booking BA. You won't be able to use AA miles to book KLM and Norwegian is an ULCC, so you'll get what you pay for.

You can get an idea of mileage costs for different programs by checking the award maximizer on travel codex or http://www.milez.biz/en/index.php.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2017
    No Name likes this.
  3. No Name

No Name Well-Known Member

Hello Lynda.

As you are discovering getting to Bergen (BGO) is a bit difficult on Oneworld after British Airways cut their daily route earlier this month and the Finnair route was summer only.

Have tried and seen if there is award space to Oslo from Heathrow with BA on the days you are traveling?

Getting to BGO from OSL is much easier than from LON, between Norwegian and SAS there is 19 daily departures. BA has a flight that lands in OSL 7:20 PM and should work time wise with AA flights from LAX. Last flight of the day OSL-BGO leaves around 10.00 PM on weekdays.

If you don't want to risk a miss-connect on 2 different tickets there are several hotels around OSL airport, Travis reviewed some of them last year:
    http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/2017/02/14/radisson-blu-oslo-airport-review/
    First flight to Bergen is at 7:10AM on a Wednesday when I checked.

It's also possible to connect in Copenhagen, but there is fewer flights to BGO and they tend to be more expensive.

Are you doing Hurtigruten both way to Bergen or are you flying down from Norther Norway?