ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

Best Redemption for Hong Kong Business/First class

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by AK12, Oct 12, 2017 at 1:26 PM.

1. AK12

AK12 New Member

Hi,

I'll be traveling to Hong Kong from the US for a month in March/April and wanted to get your thoughts on the best miles/points redemption for First or Business class. I'm a Delta Platinum medallion and would prefer to get MQMs, but with Delta One rates and a low Pay with Miles value, I think it may be best to consider other airlines. I have MR/UR points that I'm considering using and think that Cathay with Asia Miles is my best option. What do you think?

Thanks!

2. David W

David W Well-Known Member

Cathay is a great way to get to HKG and with AsiaMiles, you can waitlist on their flights. If you'll be booking tickets as one-ways, ex-HKG awards using BA Avois have very low fees.

Have you tried looking for flights on KoreanAir, and China Airlines? They both offer a decent hard/soft product and will earn you MQMs.

Other options include transfers to Singapore or Korean for their premium cabin award seats. Transfers to Aeroplan (MR) or United (UR) will get you on StarAlliance carriers such as Asiana and ANA which are also sold options.

Award availability can be hard to come by so you may need to book whatever is available for travel dates that work for you.

3. AK12

AK12 New Member

Thanks for your reply David. I haven't looked much into Korean or China Air, but I did some more research and it seems like ANA will be a fairly good option. It seems like the best approach is to just transfer MR directly to ANA and book an available seat for around 165,000 (since cathay would be about 220,000 Asia Miles) - does that sound like the best approach to you?

4. MMM

MMM Member

David,

I was looking on British Airway's site & tried to input HKG to YVR just to see what taxes would be. What caught me off guard was the one way business class seats that said it only requires 45k Avios? Is that correct? That seems awfully low from what I recall it being before. Checked several dates too. Premium Econ is 24k points one way. Is this an error?

5. David W

David W Well-Known Member

Sounds wrong to me - I think it should be 90k Avios for business class HKG-YVR. Taxes and fees should be low though.