ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

Best airline alliance for 2018?

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by AA David, Dec 4, 2017.

1. AA David

AA David Reader

I've been AA Executive Platinum for the past 8 years or so and now that it's getting close to the end of the year, I'm considering if I should switch from One World alliance to another?
    Any suggestions if I should stick to AA or switch to another for 2018?

Some context: To date for AA I'm at $28,977 EQDs and 196,924 EQMs and I have 1 last business trip to China that will put my EQMs over the 200,000 EQMs mark before year end.
    SFO is my home airport and what I like about AA is that I typically get my upgrade since it seems that most people in the SFO area are UA members.

For 2018 should I switch?

2. Gaurav

Gaurav Well-Known Member

The reason most people run the rat race of elite status is to get those upgrades which are dwindling. If that's working for you, I'm not sure you have a reason to switch unless UA or DL have better schedules for your destinations.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
    AA David and MidSouth Skier like this.
  3. rickyw

rickyw Well-Known Member

If you're flying that much, why not aim for two top tiered? Sounds like Concierge Key continues to be out of reach, but you are flying more than enough to be ExecPlat and 1K, for instance.

Wouldn't hurt to build a stash of United miles or Skymiles either.

Rough estimate, you'e accruing 300,000+ redeemable miles per year. Even splitting that between two airlines is arguably enough for a free ticket to anywhere in the world, even at non-saver rates

Rob in Miami likes this.
  4. AA David

AA David New Member

A great point! I think I'll try that in 2018!

rickyw likes this.
  5. Gaurav

Gaurav Well-Known Member

Agreed. The only reason to stick with AA only would be if you get great value from the upgrade certificates you get for additional flying.