ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

BA Avios redemption question

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by Paul TATK, Oct 12, 2017.

1. Paul TATK

Paul TATK New Member

I have over 50,000 Avios from the BA Visa signup bonus that I don't know how to use. Every time I search the BA web site, my desired route is unavailable. Am I missing a step? Is this one of the programs where I need book over the phone and not online? The scuttlebutt is that these points are great for shorthaul travel, but I can't seem to find a redemption to take advantage of!

-Paul

2. David W

David W Well-Known Member

What route and airline are you looking at? Not all airlines' award seats will show up on BA's website. Some routes just dont have much award space to begin with - American is particularly stingy.

3. Paul TATK

Paul TATK New Member

Austin to Berlin ... Austin to San Diego ... Austin to Rio. Things like that. They never seem to have ANYTHING except very limited availability between the US and Breat Britain. I'm curious how people are getting so much use out of Avios.

4. Gaurav

Gaurav Well-Known Member

@Paul TATK, are you checking segment by segment?

Also, as you mentioned in your first post, Avios are great for short haul travel. Unfortunately most of your routes don't fall into that category.

5. Paul TATK

Paul TATK New Member

No better way to find them than searching the BA website, then? What routes should I be looking at? Shorthaul as in, Austin to Dallas?

6. Gaurav

Gaurav Well-Known Member

I'm saying BA is a pretty decent place to look, you just have to look segment by segment. So instead of looking for Austin - LHR, look for Austin - DFW, DFW - LHR. Wikipedia pages for airports will show you all the airlines and destinations served and can help you piece together an itinerary. As David W mentions, AA has been particularly stingy of late with releasing saver award seats which is all that BA has access to. So if you are only looking for short haul travel with the US, you might face a tough time finding flights.