ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

award booking with delta partners

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by renegade, Nov 8, 2017.

1. renegade

renegade Reader

Hello,
    I'm so confused! I'm interested in booking a delta flight to South America using a partner award miles. On the delta site it lists a one way as "lowest fare" 90,000 miles (Sheesh!). But if I look the previous month the "lowest fare" is 62,000 miles. Will both be accepted as a saver award ticket with the partner, or only the 62,000 miles--or is there an additional "lowest fare" I haven't seen and is unavailable in my time frame which is the save award?
    thanks!

2. Gaurav

Gaurav Well-Known Member

@renegade, as you're probably aware that DL no longer has fixed award charts so it's hard to compare. They are also pushing this out to some of their partner awards. Do you have some examples of dates and itineraries you can share so we can take a look?

3. renegade

renegade New Member

Thank you Gaurav. I was looking at flights from Los Angeles to Quito for next September. The lowest during the 5 week period was 92,000 and was listed as "lowest fare". When I checked for the previous month it had a different "lowest fare" for 62,000. This flummoxed me. Could I book Korean miles for a round trip on the 92,000 day?

4. Gaurav

Gaurav Well-Known Member

I'd check the fare classes. I believe (someone correct me if I'm wrong), that R, O, and N are the saver classes for domestic F and DL One. You could also try running your search on the Korean Skyteam search tool to see if they show up.

renegade likes this.
  5. Gaurav

Gaurav Well-Known Member

renegade likes this.
  6. rickyw

rickyw Well-Known Member

Renegade, just making sure you've looked at paid fares as well. I've been in the midst of planning my own trip to South America, and paid fares are almost too good to redeem miles.

For instance, you could leave Los Angeles on September 1st, and return almost any day after that all month, and flights are less than $1200 round trip in business class. You'd have your choice of American, Aeromexico, Copa, and United.

If you're in a position to pay $1,200... I'd recommend saving the miles, whether it's 62,000 or 92,000, for another trip...

upload_2017-11-9_20-59-1.png

7. renegade

renegade New Member

Thank you Rickyw. I've come to that conclusion too. I first tried what Gaurav suggested--I tried to book Korean using their sky pass option and it would not accept either of the above options. I then checked American and United--and both are too expensive points wise for business (no save awards). There are some coach tix, and since business seats are not lie flat, maybe that also is not a bad option.

rickyw likes this.
  8. rickyw

rickyw Well-Known Member

If you wanted to treat yourself to biz class, you could play around with some routings. American has a few flights per day with some widebody aircraft from LAX to Dallas and/or Miami. That would give you a lie flat seat for at least half your journey

renegade likes this.