ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

Any route suggestions?

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by The nice Paul, Nov 29, 2017.

1. The nice Paul

The nice Paul Reader

I have to make a weird business class trip next year: starting in London, I need to go to Tokyo (doesn't matter which airport), then after a few days onwards to Rio de Janeiro, then back to London.

Anyone have any suggestions for good / least tiring routes? I'm OWE, but it'll be a paid business class trip so I'm carrier-neutral.

To get started... I had thought LHR-HND via Doha on Qatar (Qsuites/A350) (I quite like breaking that journey up into two legs). And I'm not sure JAL is operating the good Skysuites on a route I might reasonably take. Then the fun starts from Tokyo-GIG...

All help gratefully received!

2. rickyw

rickyw Well-Known Member

Personally, least tiring would mean direct... so I’d take a non-stop from London to Tokyo. So, your choice there would obviously be British or Japan. I know everyone rags on BA business class, but as OWE on a paid fare, your chances of an op-up to first are actually pretty good. I was on a paid business class ticket earlier this year (I’m One World Sapphire), and was upgraded to First at check-in. The agent told me it was because business was oversold by 1, and I was the highest-elite status on a paid fare, traveling solo.

No Name likes this.
  3. Gaurav

Gaurav Well-Known Member

I'd generally agree on the non-stops, preferring the direct routes on LHR-TYO and GIG-LHR. That TYO-GIG leg is going to be loooong. Curious what you end up choosing.

No Name likes this.
  4. No Name

No Name Well-Known Member

Not sure if cost means anything to you, but the cheapest way of going about this would of course be to buy a R/T ticket LON-TYO and then a separate R/T ticket LON-GIG.

After all the only Oneworld option for a 1 stop flight TYO-GIG that does not involve going thru the US is LHR, in both cases you will have to go true customs and immigration and pick up your bag. If you have a US passport the US is probably easier, if you have a EU passport LHR will likely be easier even with needing to check in for you next flight.

If you credit your flights to the BA FF program then taking the QR flight is of course very good for earning status if that matters to you, other wise a direct flight is probably the best option.

rickyw likes this.
  5. Cedric Pinsonnault

Cedric Pinsonnault New Member

Yeah, seperate tickets would be cheaper. Swiss has LCY/LHR to GRU flights for insane prices, 2k GBP in business, 3k in First depending on dates. You could then take a short flight to GIG. An other 2k GBP for LCY-NRT and back through ZRH. So 4k GBP in all + the small flight.