ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

Award Redemption ANA one way loophole: still working?

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by Clem, Sep 24, 2017.

1. Clem

Clem Member

Hey guys,

I've found several posts about how to book a one way award on ANA, including on OMAAT:
    http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/2014/06/03/book-one-way-ana-award/

However, this was 2-3 years ago and I also read somewhere else that this loophole is no longer working, so I went to check for myself.
    The ANA award search engine seems to error out if you book an invalid routing (it won't price the itinerary), but I managed to have this multi cities/mixed class award to price: JFK to NRT (First) and MTY to IAH (coach), for 97,500 points.

So my question is: do you guys know if this is a valid routing based on the CURRENT rules, and if the fact that it's pricing the itinerary means that I can safely transfer miles to ANA to book?
    I saw several times that ANA website can be buggy, and I don't want to transfer a bunch of miles only to have it giving me an error on the next page.

Thank you guys!
    Clem

2. No Name

No Name Well-Known Member

3. Clem

Clem Member

I did a little more research, and also asked on FlyerTalk. I read all the rules on ANA's website, which was rather painful but it does look like such an itinerary is not allowed (anymore).
    However, it works when trying to book through the website and I also ended up calling ANA to enquire about it and about availability, and there was no problem.
    So I decided to transfer my MR points to ANA, it should take a few days to transfer. I'm taking a huge risk here I think, but if there is any issue trying to book online, hopefully, I can call up and tell them that the agent I spoke to today said it was fine. Fingers crossed!

No Name and rickyw like this.
  4. No Name

No Name Well-Known Member

@Clem

Good Luck, let us know how it goes?

5. Clem

Clem Member

@No Name will do for sure. I actually found another itinerary, using slightly different rules, that seem to price as well so hopefully one of these will go through.

6. Clem

Clem Member

Update: it worked! The miles finally transferred this morning (so it took just a little under 48 hours), and I was SO nervous until the final step where it ticketed no problem!
    I ended up doing JFK to NRT (First), and NRT to HNL (coach). It came out to 95k miles and $151 in taxes, which is not great but definitely a lot less than United's one way pricing at 110k. The cheapest I can find for such a one way is 90k via Avianca LifeMiles, but I didn't have enough SPG points to transfer there.
    In my initial post I mentioned doing MTY to IAH for the second leg, but by doing this it priced out at 97,500 instead of the itinerary I figured for 95k. Note that MTY to ORD worked too, for the same price. Maybe I could have an even better one, I don't know, got tired of playing around with the website and trying to figure out all the rules so as far as I'm concerned, it's all good.

Gaurav, MidSouth Skier and No Name like this.