ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

Airline showdown! QR vs CX in J

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by Todd H, Nov 3, 2017.

1. Todd H

Todd H New Member

I think this might generate an interesting debate, but I had some unexpected flexibility come up with respect to my return flight from SE Asia that will allow me to stay an extra couple days if I would like and opens up more return flight options than the single flight I was originally locked into taking. I am currently booked on REP-HKG-JFK on CX in Premium Economy with a cash purchase ($1700) that I had planned on using 27,500 Asia Miles to upgrade to J. If I stay a couple extra days in the region (currently contemplating either Singapore, Taipei or maybe even BSB, Brunei, but open to further suggestions for only at most 2 full days), I have two good options. First, I could either change my existing CX reservation for free if I return to REP for the flight, or for $50 if I pick up the flight in HKG and as of now, looks like I would get immediate confirmation in J for the 27,500 Asia Miles from Citi. I have flown this route before 4 years ago so not sure how the product has changed. I would then need just a cheap flight down to Florida where I live.The alternative, however, is that I could cancel my CX flight for $200, so receive $1500 cash back on that purchase, and book an all miles award flight directly in J on Qatar SIN-DOH-MIA on the A350 for both legs. I have only flown QR J in their old 777 2x2x2 layout. I am not certain how many miles this would cost me and whether it would make more sense to transfer Citi points to Qatar directly or use my American miles and hopefully they can see the award space (if anyone has input here as well, it would be appreciated). I know both airlines are highly regarded, and they usually do not go head-to-head when trying to decide on a flight to/from the US, but interested to hear what people think of the two flights options in terms of which generally tends to be better, but then also taking into consideration other elements like value of the two flights given the mileage/cash costs, breaking up a long flight into two still pretty long flights, etc? Thanks!

2. MidSouth Skier

MidSouth Skier Well-Known Member

Using AA miles this would be two awards since you can't transit the Middle East on an Asia-US routing. Business class prices: 40K from Asia 2 to Middle East and 70K for Middle East to US. That's a lot of miles for business class, even if QR is one of the top-rated ones.

If you were to use Qmiles, looks like it would take 95K, which is still quite a bit for business class.

Personally I think I'd pay the $50 (or free) for the CX flight back and enjoy the QR flight another time. But you may have different priorities!

rickyw and No Name like this.
  3. Todd H

Todd H New Member

Thanks! I actually just realized the routing issue and how many miles QR would take right before you responded which was really a bummer. I know QR does a cash plus miles option but without miles in my bank yet, I do not think I can search to find if there is anything economical there for me. I could always use the $1500 from the CX flight and put it towards an economy booking on QR (roughly same price right now) and use 64k or 75k to upgrade to J but that still seems like the value is lacking unless any others have a good idea? I plan to visit India in the next few years so maybe my next QR experience should just wait until then...