ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

AA redemption

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by Tar_00, Oct 11, 2017.

1. Tar_00

Tar_00 Member

Hi - I currently have an award ticket booked for Singapore using AA miles but it's not the best routing in terms of convenience. If something else opens up in the near future (from my preferred city of departure), how easy is it to cancel this current award and book the new one? In the sense - once I cancel this award are my AA miles immediately credited back to my account, which I can then use toward my new award ticket?

Thanks!

2. rickyw

rickyw Well-Known Member

American lets you change your routing as long as your origin and destination remain the same. Don't redeposit the miles, because that will incur a fee (unless you have Executive Platinum status).

Just make sure you keep the same type of award

3. David W

David W Well-Known Member

Either way I think you will have to pay a fee, which is incurred if the award is cancelled or of the origin/destination is changed.

In my experience, miles are credited back to accounts pretty much instantly.

4. Gaurav

Gaurav Well-Known Member

As RickyW says, as long as you only change routing and not origin/destination, you should not have any change fees.