ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

Award Redemption AA aircraft swap...what can I do?

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by Jacko, Dec 10, 2017.

1. Jacko

Jacko Reader

Would love some feedback on this. Used AA miles to book DFW-LHR business on the 777-300er for a trip in May. Unfortunately, I just noticed today that the aircraft has been swapped for a 777-200. While obviously not a bad product, the entire reason I booked this flight in the first place was for the superior business class on the -300er. Is there anything I can do to get on the -300er?

Thanks for any input!

2. David W

David W Well-Known Member

Is it just a one-off swap? If you have some flexibility with your dates, you can ask AA to change the date of your flight. I believe with equipment changes they can put you on another flight even if no award space is available.

3. Gaurav

Gaurav Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if they will be willing to force you into another flight without award space but it does allow you to cancel with no penalty. I find that most agents are not aware of the equipment change rule so you may have to do some educating. With the right agent/supervisor, it might be possible to get placed onto another flight without award space too as David suggests.

4. Rob in Miami

Rob in Miami Active Member

We take the 772 on AA about 3 times a year to CDG and I can't tell the difference with the 77W equipment. The 772 now has (I believe) all forward facing seats just like the 77W. Obviously, there are differences (First Class on 77W and the mini cabin).